What's new

ONKYO TX SR700 Digital Receiver What do you all think? (1 Viewer)

MattyC

Grip
I've been following the Onkyo threads quite closely the last couple of days, regarding more specifically, the 600 series. Lately it seems there are some problems arising with the 600. Also, I'm just as interested in the quality of sound a receiver puts out from a musical standpoint as well as Digital HT. Now judging from the feedback here, I've noticed that the 700 seems to support my need for strong musical output a bit more than the 600, but I can't seem to find enough feedback about this particular model, and if it too is in danger of being recalled. My question to you guys would be, is this system a good buy?, and would I be able to get the most from my DVD collection as well as my vast musical library?. I've recently had to readjust my budget for a receiver and would like to keep the cost at $700 and below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.;)

Norman L

Second Unit
I do not think the 600 is being recalled, lots of
misinformation. You have to listen to the units you might buy. The 700 does have pre-outs which I think is a plus.

The power supply is it's weakest link, limiting the amp from producing watts that are claimed from the web site
" 6 x 100 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohms " it is more like 38x5
based on the test by the Canadian Onyko distributor.

With the proper wattage speakers the 700 would do you fine
if you like the sound.

Greer_R

Agent
I've been very pleased with my 700 as of yet. I have not cranked it as I feel the power is plenty loud for my current setup (no sub yet...I'm building my HT this summer). Anyhow, the onkyo user manual lists the power as 100 watts with 2 channels driven at 8ohms....while the website says 100x6, it is not, but the power has been more than plenty for me.

-Greer

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Whats the internet price from a authorized Onkyo dealer for the 700 ? Have you looked into the Onkyo 797. 60$ more over you budget but you get better DAC'S and 7.1 preouts, more wattage, more digital inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.