What's new

onkyo tx-sr605/speaker problem (1 Viewer)

ronKi

Agent
I currently run a new Onkyo TX-SR605 with Mirage/Omni speakers that are 5 years old and no longer being made.(They weren't cheap by the way). When played at high volume which is a must for me the center speaker pops the reciever into protect mode. I have made numerous tests and am currently using a generic bookshelf speaker as my center to prevent the shut down. No shut down at any volume with this bookshelf.
I have had the omni speaker checked out and the tech tells me it is fine.That it must be my reciever. He checked with Onkyo and they told him that this reciever can't handle the power requirement of this speaker or some technical mumbo jumbo i don't understand.
Any suggestions as to what i should do?
These Mirage speakers are awesome. I have 2 front, 3 surrond that rock. And a center speaker collecting dust.
Do i buy another center speaker...how do i know if the Sr605 will handle it? Another thing the SR605 is an awesome reciever except for this glich.
In need of guidance. Thanks, Ron

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you know what the impedance is for your center? The lower-mid level Onkyo's do not play well with 4 Ohm speakers.

I know you tried another speaker, but have you tried new wire?

ronKi

Agent
I will check the ohm.(not sure) I have not changed the wire. The wire is the same for all the speakers but still might be worth a try replacing it. Thanks. R

ronKi

Agent
Mirage center speaker not 4 ohm. Tried to reconnect it this weekend. Put in Master and Commander blu ray cranked it up and pop goes the reciever into protect mode. Brought back an old technic 2 way speaker connected it to the center channel, cranked it up and played movie with no problem.
Sure could use some guidance. Should i buy another speaker system? Another
receiver? Just keep playing with what i have? How do i know what speaker system will work properly with this receiver? Any help would be appreciated!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When I got my new Axioms this summer, one of the tweeters was bad. Not only did the speaker make cracking noises, but it caused my 705 to go into protect mode. Maybe you have a problem with the speaker?

ronKi

Agent
Already had the speaker checked out by the tech team where i purchased it.
They claim the speaker is fine with no defects after they tested it. All i know is that it pops my receiver into protect mode when i use it. I'm going to contact both manufacturers and see what they tell me. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks