What's new

Onkyo TX-SR602B 7.1 vs Pioneer 1014 (1 Viewer)

MikeWHA

Grip
Been doing much researching here and believe I have narrowed my near-future system down to two Receiver choices and two speaker lines. Will use mostly for watching tv/dvds.

Either the Onkyo TX-SR602B 7.1, right now $299, or the Pioneer 1014 (upper $300s) to be paired with either of the following:

JBL Northridge (EC-25, E80s, 2 E30s and 2 E20s for the rear centers) $735 delivered from BH
OR
Fluance SX-HTB with additional upgraded AV-SC and SV-6 for rear - $462 delivered
OR
Fluance separates - AV-SC, 2 SV-6, 2 SV-10, 2 AV-BP2 - $617 delivered

Haven't bought a new system in years and plan on this one lasting quite a long time. I am not experienced with setting up a system at all and would like some advice:
1. Is the Pioneer that much better than the Onkyo - remember that I have no idea how to set this thing up. I believe the Pioneer has a function that helps you find perfect location for speakers.
2. Love the JBLs but for the difference between that and the Fluance HTB, I can get a decent sub (Dayton???). Where is my money better spent? Eventually will get a sub anyways when I get my tax return.
Money is not the big issue here, but when the Onkyo and Fluance total under $800 and the Pioneer with JBL total around $1100, that's hard to overlook. Please help -want to do this ASAP.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer is the HOT TICKET now. Without a doubt I'd choose it over the Onkyo. Basically the Pioneer is competing with receivers in the $750 to $900 price range. It's built like a tank, and unless you get a dud, should last for many years.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
The EQ (with MCACC) on the Pioneer is a very worthwhile option.

Oh, and regarding your selection of JBL speakers, most folks recommend the EC-35 center over the EC-25. This might be something worth looking into.

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
I agree with Wayne regarding the JBLs. Definately get the EC35. It is not much more money but is a big upgrade.

For me, when it comes to HT, I would even rather have the EC35 and the E60's than the EC25 and the E80's. For music the E80's will be an upgrade but with HT, more than 60% of your sound will be coming from the center.

Also for receivers, maybe throw HK in the mix if you go with JBL. I picked up a HK avr-235 and it sounds great with JBL's. I had previously matched them up with a Pioneer Elite VSX-41, Onkyo 601, Yammy HTR-5590, and a Panny XR50. While there were pros and cons to them all, the HK has provided me with a good balance for music and movies. Logic 7 also sounds superior to DPL IIX to me anyway.

MikeWHA

Grip
Thanks for the input so far - will definitely upgrade to the 35. On centers, you definitely don't want to sacrifice great performance for a few bucks. And I'll look into the HK235 and will definitely take the Onkyo off the list.

Now,I am an amatuer here but everything I read tells me that, while more watts per channel isn't necessarily better, I really should be considering closer to 100 per. At 50, is that a little underpowered? Again, an amatuer here trying to be schooled by the experts. Also, is the the HK going to be as easy to set up as the Pioneer. Looks like the HK is $350 and the 1014 is $399 at JR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks