Onkyo TX-SR601

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JamesKer, Aug 2, 2003.

1. JamesKer

JamesKer Extra

I am new to the Audiophile world and I have a question. I want to know if the Onkyo TX-SR601 will have enough to satisfy my Paradigm Performance series setup. I have the Phantoms as my mains, the cc270 as my center, and the Atoms as my rear/surround (for now). I am concerned with not being able to provide enough to the speakers, and that scenario will cause damage to my wonderful investment. Any thoughts?

Also anyone out there have any good online spots to buy the 601???

2. hitendra

hitendra Extra

Hi

To check if the 601 will power your speakers, check the following
    1) Speaker impedance (8/6/4 ohms)
    2) Output power at the impedance of your speakers - this should be at least if not more than what your speakers can support.

For example, if your speakers support a power input level of 100 W and have impedance of 8 ohms, then the Onkyo 601 should give at least 100 W at 8 ohms with all channels driven.

The reason this answer is little generic is because you haven't mentioned the model numbers/specs of your speakers.

To buy the 601 - I would suggest you go to a dealer around where you stay and listen to it with your speakers. Most dealers in the US let you try the receiver with your speakers with a return policy.

3. Johan Meyer

Johan Meyer Auditioning

Most floor standing speakers are 150 to 200 watts
    It is too expensive to but a 150/200watt reciever as hitrenda has mentioned Unless you have 1000's of dollares

IMO this reciever rated at 90 watts into 8 ohms will make your speakers sound great!!

Also look at the Marantz SR4300 heard some good reviews!!
    80 wpc but high current!!

4. hitendra

hitendra Extra

Johan
    My response was a little generic one - although most good receivers should provide anything between 80-120 W.

I agree that to get 150-200 W, you would need a small monster. My example of 100W was only to illustrate the point since I don't know the specs of JamesKer's speakers and we all know that underpowered receivers are more harmful to speakers than overpowered ones.

As you have pointed out, 90W @ 8 ohms should be good enough and probably is - its just that I don't know if JamesKer's speakers are rated at 8 ohms or 6 ohms.

The new Onkyo 701 just released is, I believe, around $800.

5. David_Wong

David_Wong Auditioning

I have Athena Technologies AS-B2 mains, AS-C1 center, and AS-B1 surrounds powered by Onkyo TX-SR501 rated at 65w into a pair of (I think) 8ohm speakers.

The B2 and C1 can handle 150w/channel and the B1 can handle 125w/channel. All are 8 ohm speakers.

So I am also worried if I have enough power to drive those speakers without doing any damage to them caused by clipping, etc. FWIW, the Onkyo is a "high current" design. I don't know if that makes a difference.

I usually play my stereo music slightly louder than normal conversation levels. Can you avoid clipping by keeping the volume to reasonable levels? If that were possible, my only concern is those transient peaks you get when watching DVDs. I find that I have to crank the volume level up pretty high when watching movies in order to hear whispered conversations. But I worry about my precious speakers whenever I get those blasts of very loud sound effects. You just can't enjoy the movie if you're worried about your speakers! [​IMG]

My dilemma now is whether to upgrade to the Onkyo TX-SR701 which is rated at 100w, or keep the 501.

PS. My room is small, so I don't really need to play music very loud. That's why I got the 501 in the first place.

6. Mark Dickerson

Mark Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

I went to the Paradigm website and checked the specs on your speakers, then I went to the Onkyo website and checked out the 601. Based upon what I saw, I don't think you will have a problem with them causing damage to your speakers, provided you don't have your receiver cranked to maximum volume. Most amps will clip when driven beyond their capabilities. But assuming you keep your listening at reasonable levels, there should be no problem.

The Paradigms are an 8 ohm nominal impedance, so there is no problem there. The Onkyo is rated at 85 wpc, but that is only when driving two channels at a time. Figure it will lose 30-40% of its available power when driving five channels, so you probably only have 55 wpc. The dynamic power is rated at 100 wpc (fronts), so figure the dynamic power as 60 wpc into five channels. That is well within the Paradigm's "Recommend Amp" range.

By the way, despite Onkyo's claim that it is a "high current" design, that is nothing but marketing hype. With a dynamic headroom of 0.5 db, there is no way that can be considered "high current."

7. JamesKer

JamesKer Extra

Thanks for the responses. I'll get my spects for the speakers posted for arguments sake.

8. JamesKer

JamesKer Extra

Some specs on the receiver.....
    Amplifier Section

Power Output* (8 ohm, 20 Hz-20 kHz, FTC)
    Front L/R 85 W/Ch
    Center 85 W
    Surround L/R 85 W/Ch
    Surround Back 85 W
    Power Output* (6 ohm, 1 kHz, FTC)
    Front L/R 110 W/Ch
    Center 110 W
    Surround L/R 110 W/Ch
    Surround Back 110 W
    Dynamic Power** (front)
    3 ohm 220 W/Ch
    4 ohm 165 W/Ch
    8 ohm 100 W/Ch
    THD (Rated Power) 0.08 % (all channels)
    Damping Factor (1 kHz, 8 ohm) 60

I just got off the phone with a tech at Onkyo who advised that the 85w per ch is over 6 ch continuous. He advised the power output will not fall to 60 or so.

9. JamesKer

JamesKer Extra

SPeaker specs.........
    Paradigm Phantoms
    Suitable Amp Power Range: 15w to 160w
    Maxium Imput Power:100 w Provided the amp doesnt clip more than 10% of the time.

cc-270 Center
    Suitable Amp Power Range: 15w to 160w
    Maxium Imput Power:100 w Provided the amp doesnt clip more than 10% of the time.

Atoms (Rears)
    Suitable Amp Power Range: 15w to 80w
    Maxium Imput Power:50 w Provided the amp doesnt clip more than 10% of the time.

I am concerned with the rears. By the way what is clipping?

10. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

I don't think you will have a problem James. Power is a good thing. I wouldn't worry about the 50 watt input power spec from Paradigm. I believe there are many people at this forum using Atom for rears and have receivers of similar power or more. You can post in the Speaker section and ask what everyone is using to power thier Atoms. They'll let you know how they are keeping up.

It'll really be hard to overpower these speakers really. I mean, when are you going to have your receiver at full tilt? It'll be quite hard to get a full 85 watts out of any receiver continuously.

11. JamesKer

JamesKer Extra

One other question about this Onkyo. Have any owners of this model out there had any clipping issues at any volume level?

12. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

Clipping happens when the amp runs out of power to give. Right tech guys? It produces a square wave or something. Anyhow...If you're giving 85 watts to a 50 watt speaker, you're going to run out of ear drums before you clip the amp.

13. John Warner

John Warner Extra

James,
    Regardless of how much your speakers can handle. Your Onkyo 601 will only put out as much power as the receiver itself can put it, no more. Like someone else posted earlier, your receiver will clip, or shut itself off so it dosnt blow and ruin your pricey investment.

My suggestion is to run standard 16 gauge wiring to limit the output from the receiver in the event your speakers need to peak. In addition just dont play it too loud, even though its very tempting with any remotely nice Paradigms.

14. Jim Williams

Jim Williams Second Unit

I would not worry about the Paradigm Phantoms and the SR-601. I have a SR-601 that was driving Klipsch KG2s which are rated at 4 ohms. Onkyo does not recommend 4 ohm loads but at moderate listening levels (75 db) the SR-601 barely got warm. The Phantoms are rated at 8 ohms and a sensitivity level of 88 db while the Klipsch that I was using are rated at a sensitivity of 90 db. At a listening level of 75 db in my 14x14 room I was hardly putting out 1 watt continuous.

I have since switched to 8 ohm speakers so in case there is a problem with the receiver I won't void my warranty.