What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600 (1 Viewer)

Perry_C

Grip
Hello all,

I just bought the Onkyo TX-SR600. It seems very good and I do like the features. However, I notice it is missing a few things I would have liked. For instants, component switching ( I think it is called?) and pre-outs. I talked with Onkyo and basically to get that I would have to go to the 700 model. That price point seems rather high for me. Unless there is some really good deal out there. But I was wondering if someone could suggest a good receiver with the features of the Onkyo 600 but with those other added features I mentioned above.

Thanks,

Perry

Jon Duke

Stunt Coordinator
However, I notice it is missing a few things I would have liked. For instants, component switching
If you are referring to upconverting composite to s-video connections, the 600 does not do this while the 700 does. You also might want to look at the Denon 1803, which has the features of the 2802 with the power of the 1802 for the same price as the Onkyo. Although it won't hit the streets until 9/11.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Perry_C,
I was in the same boat you are. I really liked the sr700, but am on a limited budget (college student) and the sr600 didn't have all the features I wanted, mainly the pre-outs. After much deliberation, and reading on this site, I decided on the Pioneer Elite VSX-41 ($500 shipped at etronics). It should be arriving in the next day or two and I am very excited to try it out.
Just for reference, the other final candidates I had were the Marantz 6200 (but no component switching) and the Sony STR-DB1070 (also around $500 shipped).

Jeremy

Perry_C

Grip
Hello,

Thanks for the help.

Jon Duke, that is correct, I am referring to upconverting composite to s-video connections.

So that feature and the pre-outs would be nice to have.

Jeremy, could you do a review of the new Pioneer Elite VSX-41, when you get it?

Thanks,

Perry

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
While the 700 does upconvert composite to s-vid, it does not upconvert composite and s-vid to component, unfortunately. Very few receivers do.

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I was planning on it, more for critique than anything. Like I said, I'm new to this so I would be looking for feedback on my reviewto make sure I'm looking for the right things. Also, I haven't heard very many nice or even decent sytems so it likely won't be a harsh review.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks