Onkyo TX-SR600 Question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewPD, Jul 10, 2003.

1. AndrewPD

AndrewPD Auditioning

I just bought an Onkyo TX-SR600, and i'm wondering if someone can provide me some insight for the cabling. I have some components that have S-video out, so i'd like to use that (DVD, Digital Cable). Other components, such as the VCR, only have coax out. However, my TV only has Video Coax IN.

I'm wondering if the receiver will output on both svideo and coax, no matter if the input is Svideo or coax. I'd like to be able to hook up the dvd using svideo, and the TV through coax. Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. BobAZ

BobAZ Stunt Coordinator

How did you have these 3 sources hooked to your TV before you bought the rcvr?

If your TV doesn't have an S-Video input, or even Composite for that matter, then you are out of luck trying to run everything through the rcvr. You can get everything hooked to the rcvr and have sound, but you can't get the picture to the TV.

The VCR doesn't have Composite Video Out and L/R Audio Out?

The SR600 doesn't up/downconvert Composite, S-Vid, Component signals. The SR700 is the first model that will. If you input S-Vid, you get S-Vid on the rcvr's S-Vid Monitor Out.

3. BrianMe

BrianMe Stunt Coordinator

If you really "just got it" take it back and get a 601. The new 601s will do the up/down convert.

Brian

4. AndrewPD

AndrewPD Auditioning

Well, all of my components will output composite video, and my tv has composite, so it looks like that will be the route i'll be taking. Thanks for the info Bob.

Brian - I received the SR600 as a gift, so taking it back to get the sr601 really isn't an option. But thanks for the suggestion.