Onkyo TX-SR600 Pictures & Specs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Will, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

www.crutchfield.com has the pictures, front, back, remote & specs. now up on their website. Just look under "new products" I was diapointed to see that Onkyo was using spring clips for the rear center speaker while all the other speakers have binding posts. What a cheap way to go [​IMG] How much money could Onkyo have saved over the posts?

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

My mistake, the spring clips are on the Front Speakers "B" but still spring clips?

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

No more phono input either [​IMG]

4. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, also seems to have lost a coax input in exchange for a front-mounted optical in.

Also, they list an adjustable crossover 80-100-120 Hz. Did the 595 have that? That's a nice little feature.

Overall seems like a nice improvement (other than a quibble here and there). They now have a significant feature advantage (on paper) over the Denon 1802.

Anyone know if they improved the programmability of the ProLogic II implementation? That seemed to be one of the 1802's advantages....

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

A big Quibble for me is that phono input. Maybe in the next few days Crutchfield will get all of the specs. listed.

6. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

I wish it had pre outs

7. Angelo_Petralba

Angelo_Petralba Second Unit

There really isn't MUCH you could get/ask for at this pricepoint. You already get 6 channels and DD-EX/DTS-ES AND Video Switching!

This would be an excellent upgrade for the budget minded with not that much room.

I think it's an EXCELLENT BARGAIN. I wish somebady would do a REVIEW on the SOUND QUALITY for both 2 Channels and the Movie experience.

I'm sure it won't be long now.

Angelo

8. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

80/100/120 are not a great choice for sub x over. Should have one at least down to 60. Lack of pre-outs is serious because there is no good amp upgrade path. In receivers at this price it is the amps that suffer. You will never get 80 X 6 out of this with all channels driven simultaneously.

Typically, when upgraditis sets in it is the amps, especially for the front 3 channels that people look at.

Artie

9. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Well preouts would be appropriate at this pricepoint if they want this unit to be a real barn burner in features/price ratio. As it is, it is a great value, but doesn't the Marantz 6200 already have 6.1 at under $500? And the Denon 2802 is right about there as well, at maybe $100 higher street price but with preouts. I do like those Onkyo remotes though compared to the Denons. Will be interesting to see if Onkyo comes out with a 700, 800 unit some time soon. I might target something like 2 notches up from the 600 in the Onkyo line to be my next receiver.

10. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

The Marantz 6200 is about $550, but the 5200 is under $500 street, and has 6.1, DPL-2, and pre-outs. No A-B speakers though.

11. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I know there is a 700 and 800 model coming out, I just don't know when. Hopefully soon.

12. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so the specs say it has wideband component inputs, but does anyone know if this will switch between composite/s-video/and component?

14. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

John,

The specs for the Marantz 5200 say 85W x6 (in Canada at least).

15. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sorry, 85wpc for 5200 [​IMG]

16. muskie

muskie Agent

The 5200 has no phone input but the Dennon 1802 does right? As for preouts does not the Dennon have LCR and sub, I'm not so sure on the Marantz here...

Also what about driving speakers of other then 8 ohms with these three receivers? Dennon's .pdf mentions the power ratings into 6 ohms. I'm going to upgrade my receiver and I've been keeping an eye this price point and these models. What about the HK stuff compared to new Onkyo.

Muskie

17. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

Muskie,

Already covered preouts above - Marantz 5200 has 'em (6.1).