Onkyo TX SR600 owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Yeatts, May 18, 2002.

1. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

I want to know what you think of your SR600. I own the SR600. I have little experience with HT. I can tell you that it easily hits reference levels with my Audax HT kit speakers. These speakers are fairly inefficient (87ish db and one watt meter). The sound quality seems to be pretty good. I am running a sub. The bass managment works pretty well. I don't use any surround processing when listening to music.

2. Jim Tressler

Jim Tressler Stunt Coordinator

i agree greg.. so far so good with my 600 [​IMG]
    jim

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I want to know what you think of your SR600. I own the SR600. I have little experience with HT. I can tell you that it easily hits reference levels with my Audax HT kit speakers.

You're hitting 105-115db at your listening position using an SPL meter?

4. Greg Yeatts

Greg Yeatts Second Unit

Yes, I can hit 110 db in the pod race in Episode 1. Also, the Omaha Beach scene clocks in at around 106 db. Last night I watched The Mummy Returns and hit peaks of 106-110 db. This is really too loud. It's not comfortable listening at these levels. I don't think the local multi-plex is this loud.

Now I do have a subwoofer. I think having a subwoofer reduces the strain on your receiver a great deal. I don't know how well I could hit reference levels without a subwoofer. I don't rally care. All I know is that it will play louder than I can really use it (scares the kid if its too loud) in my application. If you want one, to the store and listen to it.

At my local Circiut City, I listened to it along with an AVR520. The sound quality of the AVR 520 may have been a little better, or it may have just been different. There was a huge difference in price. Power wise I did not notice a big difference. I do know that I was almost out of range on the volume control on the AVR 520 (I had it turned almost all the way up).

Don't take my opinion, don't take anyone elses. Purchase the SR600 somewhere with a good return policy. Try it, and return it if you don't like it.

5. Jason Spencer

Jason Spencer Stunt Coordinator

That's some advice I can agree with. And I'm with Greg on the sound level analysis...

6. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

my hk avr120 is supposed to give clean power, but I feel it lacks bass in midand upper range. the subwoofer is loud and deep but when the speakers are small (100hz and above) they are missing lots of bass and sounds too bright and trebly.

So I'm afraid to go for the HK AVR520 and instead want to try a new brand..either onkyo or denon.

-ElmO