What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600: First Impressions [and Comparison to the 595] (1 Viewer)

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Tim_Speicher:

I tried to email you, but it bounced back. I noticed you're from Lakeland. I'm in Orlando, and when I called asking about Norman's $399 recpt, they said it was out of the region. Perhaps if I had a copy of yours it would make my case easier. Any chance I can get you to email me a copy? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for any help you can give,

RenoV

Agent
Hey Andrew, I just got a Onkyo 600 to replace my VSX-D606S ...weird

You will NOT be disappointed at the difference in quailty (sound or otherwise) over the Pioneer.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Hi, RenoV:

What type of speakers are you using with your new Onkyo? What are you using for the center 6th speaker?

Andrew M

RenoV

Agent
Andrew, I have Acoustic Research AR-17 mains, AR-4C Center, AR-215 Rears, and a Velodyne 8100X Sub. I have absolutely no space to put a rear center as my rears are on either side of my couch and my couch is right up against a wall :frowning: as you can see by my speaker set-up I'm very space limited :frowning: :frowning:

ChadLB

Screenwriter
RenoV,

How do you like the AR series?

I have the Onkyo TX-sr600, AR11(front), AR4C(Center), AR17(rears), ARS112PSS(sub)...sounds better than my old kenwood and now I have DTS. PLII is not that great to me I use TV logic for watching TV and I have not watched any VHS tapes yet.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I have PHILIPS speakers (6 ohms at 100w). They sounded better on the philips receiver that it came with. I now have a harman kardon receiver and the sound has changed to be a brighter noise and less mid bass. I even tried paradigm mini monitors and some bass came back (after re config) but I think I was just wow'ed by surround sound the first time I heard it.

Anyways I'm looking to try Denon or Onkyo sound with paradigm speakers. Is it okay to use paradigm mini monitor as center instead of paradigm center CC170/CC370?

Problem is CC center is $330. I could just get 3 pairs of paradigm mini monitors for about $900 for 6 speakers, and then buy a decent subwoofer. My only problem is, is this a good package? Once I pay $900 for 6 speakers, is there another 6 speaker set (or even 5 speaker + subwoofer) that is better at $900?

-ELMO

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
elMalloc,
Have you looked into the BIC speakers? Read about the DV62si (bookshelf), DV62CLR (center -- can also be used as left/right), and DV736 (towers). Much less than $900, and VERY high ratings on www.audioreview.com. One thing though, as you'll read, there's a guy who modifies the crossovers on them and that makes a world of difference.
I got 2 DV62si and 1 DV62CLR including modifications for about $310.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
Tim_Speicher:

I tried to email you, but it bounced back. I noticed you're from Lakeland. I'm in Orlando, and when I called asking about Norman's $399 recpt, they said it was out of the region. Perhaps if I had a copy of yours it would make my case easier. Any chance I can get you to email me a copy? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks for any help you can give,
Jay,

I got your email and I will gladly send you a copy of the receipt when I get home and can get it scanned.

-Tim

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
ElMalloc,

I was in the same situation as you. I have an Onkyo 600 and have one pair of mini monitors. I too was trying to decide if I should get mini monitors all around or get 7's, minis in the back, and a CC370 as a center.

A mini should do fine as a center as long as it is shielded of course.

In the end, for me anyway, I decided to go with the 7's, push my minis to the back for surround, and the 370 as a center.

Minis would be nice since you could use that extra speaker as rear center. The 7's though sounded a little nicer to me in the end as mains so I figured I may as well get the 370 center. Besides that I don't have a stand for that rear center or other stands for the other mini monitors. My surround minis will be resting on top of old speakers(yeah pretty bootleg hehe)

I think minis all around would be great but I think I would always wondered 'what if' about the 7's so went for them.

OK I rambled long enough

RenoV

Agent
Hey Chad, I don't have much to reference to but they sound good to me so I suppose that's all that matters :D I think my setup actually compares favorably to my friends Klipsch Reference setup (with a Sony reciever...STR-DE1075 I think).

Joseph_T_S

Auditioning
Brian,

I picked up the Onkyo 600 last week and finally set it up last night. I though that it sounded great with only one real question.

Why type of volume level are you running your at? I found the volume control to be very nonlinear, with little sound up to around 50 and then really increasing from there. Being new to the ways of home theater is this a common occurance or have I just not set the system up properly? I'm running the Onkyo through JBL SCS135 satelites with a sub.

Thanks,

Norman L

Second Unit
I just returned from the Home Entertainment Show in NYC.

A Denon person advised me, after I questioned him about the new line, that the 1803 coming out in August will be like the 2802 but with more.

1803 will have 90 watts, 6.1, 2 center surround speakers, preouts for another room and I do not remember what else.

Same MSRP $499

As we all know the 2802 is loaded and has 74W 5-channels running.

Also,

Yesterday , I had tested at my cost. Yamaha 5560, Pioneer 811s for watts running all channels.

Both were tested with 500Mv input and reasonable distortion levels .05-.2

The Yamaha 5560 tested with 6-channel stereo at 15volts =

28 watts/ch.

The Pioneer 811s tested with 6-channel stereo 25volts =

78 watts/ch. Distortion level was the highest at extreme high volume -6 but I was told listening level is more like

-35 to -40 with peaks to -15.

The ONYKO 600 in my past test report was 16.5 V = 34W with 5 channels running

I hope this info is helpful, I am not a technical person, so I can not answer detailed questions.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Norm-

These companies are playing wattage roulette. They know that most people listen nowhere near reference level and are cutting the power accordingly.

Norman L

Second Unit
Ned,

The Onkyo600 and the Yamaha5560 cut the wattage as soon as the multi channels kick in what ever the volume is set at, even at listening level. Their 80 and 75 watts ratings are for 2 channels only. A computer chip senses multi-channels and cuts the volts to each channel.

The problem is only for those who have or might buy speakers

that have high minimum wattage levels. Those type of speakers will get into trouble when the volume is then raised by the Movie's sound effects.

I know, I blew my B & W speakers with the Onkyo 600

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph_T_S,

What type of volume level are you running your at?
For DTS I've been running at about 56 to 60.

I'm new to HT also. I think the non-linear volume is common, and intentional, so that you can fine tune your volumne at low levels for background music, etc.

Joseph_T_S

Auditioning
Brian,

Your fine tuning point is good. I hadn't really though much about that aspect. I will try the same range for DTS and see how everything sounds.

I guess that the real decision maker is how well does the system sound. For myself I am pleased. The only other option I would like is dual room/dual source, but I really don't want to pay the extra right now.

Thanks,

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure no matter what I buy, 6 months later I could get something better for less money. There's also always something better for "just a little more" money right now, but you have to draw the line somewhere. It's just the nature of technology.
I'm having a lot of fun with my setup right now, and it sounds great to me, so I'm sticking with it. :)

Joseph_T_S

Auditioning
Brian,

Unfortunately that is all very true.

I like how my setup sounds as well. All I need now is a good DVD player. Sony seem to be coming out or has a 5 disc that does CD-R, CD-RW, MP3 and a few other formats. I believe that it is the DVP-NC615. Any thoughts as to it or something compreable?

Brian Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph,

You might want to post a new thread or search in the hardware section. I don't know much about DVD players that are out there right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks