What's new

Onkyo TX-SR600 back to the store (1 Viewer)

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well I think it is going back. Every time I watch a movie that is not DTS when is goes to the next layer it loses its signal and last night on the movie "The Others" when it switched layers it losts it signal and made a loud pop sound I thought it almost blew my speakers............

Any recommendations would be appreciated. I am thinking of the Outlaw 1050.......

I had the Onkyo for a couple of weeks and never used the PLII so I am not sure I need that.

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
ChadLB,

That is weird, I recently watched "The Others" on my 600 and did not notice any loss of signal at the layer switch. What kind of DVD player do you have? how is it connected?

Kevin Parker

Stunt Coordinator
check Yamaha RX-V630 or 1200 if you like onkyo's sound you will like yamaha, or try denon 1802 if you wanna go for warm sound.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Connected coaxial thru a pioneer. Never had this problem with my old DD receiver.

It does not do it in dts mode for movies just DD.

How do you have your input settings set? Each one.

RenoV

Agent
Make sure that the digital input for that source on the receiver is explicitly set to "Coaxial" and not on "Auto".

The "pop" is the receiver auto finding the digital source.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Yes, I had that.....to annoying for me plus like I said my other reciever never did that.

I actually returned it tonight......back to square one.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I had coaxial hooked up and had the input selection set to that(Coaxial) and not auto.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Damn now you have me worried.

Greg or RenoV,

did you two also have it set in a similar fashion like Chad?

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thats too bad that you had to return the 600 Chad... It appears that everything was set up correctly. I wonder why your 600 lost its signal like that. Anyone else have a similar problem? I have the 600 and have not had this happen to me yet.

David_Lu

Grip
it clicks on mine too...i just thought it might be my dvd player...i have an jvc 701...about 2 years old

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I have a pioneer dvd player that is about 2 years old now.

I tested the same thing with my friends new pioneer receiver...his loses the signal but just switched to PLII and back and makes no noise. The only way you know is if you look at the reciever. It says Dolby and then when the dvd switches layers it goes into PLII mode and then back.
He has a new Pioneer DVD player also.
Gone in 60 seconds has the longest layer switch I have seen/tested so far. Chapter 23/24 is the layer switch.

Like I said on "The Other" it made a loud pop sound when it switched layers and not just a click sound...that is why I returned mine.

I think I am going to go with the Outlaw 1050....PLII I didn't bother with on the Onkyo...

LiorM

Agent
I remind you all the the Layer Switch audio problem
start first at the player itself.
While some DVD's won't pause at all , other will pause
for a second or so .
So it is possible that same receivers will behave
differently at the layer switch point.
I'm sure that the TX-SR600 with a good DVD player,
won't make any problem.
Get ride of your 99.9$ players... :)
Lior

Christopher_H

Stunt Coordinator
Eric - I was referring to "The Others" . Chad experienced a Loss of Signal at the layer switch where I have not experienced this on my 600.

I agree with LiorM and think that it is the DVD Player not the receiver causing the loss of signal. I have a Toshiba SD2109 and have not experienced the loss of signal at all.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Like I said it is not my player...it works fine with other recievers. It had something to do with this receiver.

Watch the dolby digital signal and watch gone in 60 seconds if you have it and let me know what happens ....anyone with the Onkyo 600.

Mine would go out of dd and go into whatever mode I used last...and then switch back to DD. Click out and then back in.
I spoke with a friend that works at a Hi Fi place and he suggests it was also the receiver.

Now I am back at square one....any new suggestions.

Tim_Speicher

Stunt Coordinator
I, too, had experience the click during layer changes while watching Se7en the other night (Onkyo SR600 & Pioneer DV-440). It was the first time I heard it and it made me go back and replay the scene to see if it was a fluke. Sure enough it happened again. I thought it was odd that I had never noticed it on my other DTS movies, so I went back and played The Fast and the Furious, American Pie 1 & 2. On these three titles, it did not make the click when switching layers. The DTS light didn't even go off during the switch, like it had in Se7en. This I assume is why it would click in the first place, since the receiver lost the DTS signal for a brief second.

Anyway, I also ended up returning the Onkyo SR600 tonight and picked up the HK AVR 320 after reading good things about it (other than the occasion protection turn off?). I know it's a bit more than the Onkyo, but it's only my second receiver ever, so I decided to check a few out. If you're interested, you can see my thoughts about it in another recent post of mine.

-Tim

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Chad, if you're thinking of something in the same price range as the SR600, then the following are some choices:

Yamaha HTR-5560
Pioneer VSX-D811S
Marantz 5200
Denon 1802 (not 6.1)

good luck,

--tom

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
So Tim you are getting it in DTS mode now?

I will have to rent either Gone in Sixty Seconds or The Others tonight and see what happens in mine.

As far as selecting auto or just COAX, while you set coax on the input select section, you have to set it on auto on the I believe the 'audio select' button. I don't have the unit in front of me this second but it is the button located right before the DVD, Tape etc buttons.

SO it seems you have no real choice but to have it on auto.

Users who are viewing this thread