What's new

Onkyo TX-SR502 for me? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Kelly

Auditioning
Hi all. Longtime lurker, first time poster here.

I'm looking for a "cheap" receiver for my bedroom. What I have now only has 1 set of inputs, while I have several things I need hooked up. ecost has the 502 refurbished for 163.99.

I'll be using this to hook up my DVD player, my computer, my TV, and possibly an Xbox or PS2. The TV I have does have HDTV, if that makes a difference.

If any further information is needed to help ease this process on me, please let me know.

Thanks!
Ryan

Ryan Kelly

Auditioning
Anybody have some input for me? I have no set budget, but as I'm a poor college student, I don't wanna go too far over and above $200, although I could save a little bit more. I'm VERY new to the home audio area, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

EDIT: I have also been looking at the Panny XR50, which I believe has 3 component inputs to the Onkyo's 2, but I have yet to find a good price on it from a reputable dealer. If any recommend the Panny over the Onkyo, what's a good place to shop around for a deal.

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

Are you looking to do surround sound (5 or 6.1) with your setup? I dont think you gave us enough information about your intentions.

Ryan Kelly

Auditioning
Sorry, like I said, I'm very new ;) Yes I would like to do surround. As of now, I only need 5.1, but I am planning on moving within the next year, where 6.1 could be a possibility. So I guess I only need 5.1, but 6.1 couldn't hurt. I'll be using it for about 60% DVD watching, 30% music, and 10% between TV/Games. I was thinking of buying whatever I get from jr.com. They have the Onkyo 502 Refurb for I believe $163, and the Panny 50 for 229.99, which I figured out I can afford.

Thanks, and please let me know what further information I can provide

Pat_TL

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan,

As the owner of an advanced Onkyo model from yours, the TX-SR600, I have to say Onkyo is doing the best receivers right now along with Denon (just IMO) so I would say stick with the Onkyo.

I dont believe that model you mentioned is 6.1 capable as mine is, but for 5.1 it should be fine, as mine is. The only thing I am having issues with, which I will pass along to a coveted Onkyo family member now (you!), are some of the Onkyo's settings such as IntelliVolume; seems my 600 just wouldnt give me enough power at all unless I cranked these levels up in the setup menu --- and I mean UP....I am running ALL sources (DVD, CD, TAPE 1, TUNER) at "+10" on IntelliVolume and only then, along with jacking up my speaker calibration levels to "+6" across the board, was I able to get satisfactory sound out of this unit at lower volume levels. Without bringing those IntelliVolume settings up, you'll find that the Onkyo's produce no audio below "50" on the volume display.

Now, some say bringing IntelliVolume up to +10, +11 or +12 (max) will introduce distortion, clipping and eliminate the maximum power rating for this amplifier....I dont know if any of this is true but all I DO know and what I can pass along to you is that without making high IntelliVolume and calibration level settings, you'll find yourself turning the receiver up to 90 to get immersed in a DVD. Since setting my receiver with these high values on IntelliVolume and speaker calibrations, I have had no distortion or clipping....in fact, for awhile, I had my IntelliVolumes on the maximum, +12, but brought them all down because I feared losing a lot of volume headroom and clipping the amps.

You know, though....now that Im thinking of it....a friend of mine had the model you are mentioning and I DONT THINK it had IntelliVolume.....

SteveCH

Auditioning
Pat_TL,

The 502 is 6.1 capable. It also matrixes a 5.1 signal to "create" the rear center. Your TX-SR600 probably does as well.

The 502 does not have IntelliVolume.

Ryan,

I've used the 502 since August and have been VERY happy with it. At $164, I would call it a steal. I stepped up from a H/K AVR25II (just Pro-Logic). The H/K really packs a lot of punch so I wasn't sure about the Onkyo. I also considered a Pany unit, but some of the reports of high unit temp scared me away. Maybe that's been fixed on the newer units; counldn't tell you.

I am using Polk RM-7200 sats for speakers. DVD veiwing is absolutely amazing. My biggetst complaint is the remote. It's huge, only the button pushed is backlite, and for some reason, I always pick it up backwards. It's not very ergonomic.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks