What's new

Onkyo TX-SR501 Which Subwoofer Mode do you use (1 Viewer)

Bill**H

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I ask is I still have a 500 model that has the Subwoofer bug and can not use Mode 3. I have the SKS-HT500 speakers and 2 Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofers.
Does Mode 3 sound better than Mode 1?
If so, how much better?
Mode 1 rocks, but I have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,
Bill

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have the HT-R500 with SKS-500 speakers and use mode 1 most of the time. When listening at low volumn with my sub turned off I use mode 2 which is fronts at large and center/surrounds small. The sound isn't THAT much better if at all in mode 3 and at higher volumns your receiver and speakers are safer in mode 1 (all speakers set to small). Gene

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
It's a matter of preference. The LFE channel was designed originally to deliver Low Frequency Effects for 70mm movies. Dolby Digital and DTS both maintain compatibility with this for compatibility's sake, though DTS is supposed to be 6dB lower than Dolby Digital. If a movie is made with an LFE track, then the Dolby or DTS mix on a DVD should contain the LFE track as well. However, Dolby Digital/DTS should have full frequency mixes on all channels, and if you're using Mode 1 then the sounds below the frequency set by your receiver's crossover from all channels, including the LFE, should be sent to the subwoofer output unless I misunderstand my 501's documentation. Modes 1 is listed as sending the low frequenceis of all channels to the subwoofer output. Mode 2 is listed as sending the low frequencies from the surround and center channels only to the subwoofer output (implying Mode 1 contains the LFE channel). And Mode 3 is the LFE track only.

Honestly, I like Mode 1. Mode 3 just doesn't sound as 'full' to me, but that's a preference thing and likely has something to do with the surround speakers. If you've got Mode 1 and are happy with it, it's unlikely that Mode 3 is going to be much better for you. Then again, you get a decent set of reatures when upgrading to the 501 over the 500, and it's a bargain refurbished.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks