What's new

Onkyo TX-SR501 or HK AVR 225 (1 Viewer)

OscarALE

Auditioning
Looking to replace my Sony reciever which only has Dolby Digital no DTS and most threads point to these two, which is what my budget is, but the sale ends today at Fry's $299! Onkyo has a little more power and more surround modes, HK slightly lower in power but that shouldn't matter with HK and 5.1 only. This will drive Energy EX line of speakers all around. Any help would be greatly appreciated...please hurry time is running out Thanks!

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go with the Harman Kardon. I have the AVR-525 and love it. H/K is very accurate with their power ratings, I am willing to bet it is as powerful, if not more powerful then the Onkyo even though the Onkyo is rated higher. I had a Sony receiver listed at 100 watts per channel, moved up to the H/K AVR-525 rated at 70 watts per channel and the HK blew away the sony with ease. I also think H/K sounds better, especially for music. That price is a steal for the H/K. Crutchfield has the Onkyo listed at $299.99, and the H/K at $499.99. Janr has the Onkyo at 299.99 and the H/K for $349.99. Every place I have seen the H/K goes for more money. Draw your own conclusions from that. :)

HienD

Stunt Coordinator
I'd pick the HK. But if you really want 6.1 sound, try looking for a sr600. They're heavily discounted right now, and can be had for aproximately the same price as the sr501.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks