What's new

Onkyo TX-SR500 vs. HT-R500 (HT-S650) (1 Viewer)

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
if the HT-R500 is 100 watts/channel compared to the SR500, which is 65 watts/channel then isnt the HT-R500 better? The only other difference is that the TX one got a power button where the other has a standby button. Im sure lucky to have the onkyo ht-s650. The receiver is such a steal!

David Dhaus

Agent
Be careful of comparing the wattage on the two receivers. I have read that the receiver in the 650 is the same as the other one to which you refer. I have the 650 and while the advertisements specify 100 Watts x 5, look at the specs in the manual that comes with the system. The HT-S650 receiver puts out 100 x 2 @8 ohms. I do not see a spec for 100 watts over all channels, or 100 x 5 @8 ohms. It could very well be that it actually puts out 65 watts x 5 @8ohms. That being said, I love my 650 and wouldn't trade it for anything that comes in near that price point. Watched the Bridge at Kazad Dum scene again yesterday with the speakers at small and the sub setting on the back of the sub at medium output. The room shook, the dialogue was clear, the music/chanting was amazing. I really love this system. If it isn't a true 100 Watts over 5 channels, I can't imagine how loud such a system would be - my ears would hurt - or why such loudness is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks