What's new

Onkyo TX-SR500 Questions (1 Viewer)

GabeR

Agent
Hello all,
I am wondering what everyones impression of this receiver is...problems, and what kind of speakers you are all using with it

I have a 12x12 foot room and this will be my first home theater setup. I am considering this receiver or a yamaha because I am on a fixed budget. sub-300 for a receiver

I would only play it medium volume for movies,and tv occasionally because I dont need to blast the volume
I also listen to a lot of music

THanks for all the help, and Ive read through a lot of the forums and am learning a lot

Sathyan

Second Unit
I just ordered that receiver today, expecting to have it in hand for testing on Thursday. It sounded good (clean, well-defined) in the store. I will post my thoughts then. This is also my first HT system (upgrading from Aiwa minisystem) and on a tight budget. My room is about 14x14
other parts of the system:
GE 19" TV*
JVC HR-3800U VCR*
Sony CDP-CE375 CD changer
PC w/ Hollywood+ DVD card*
HTD Level One Speaker set $150 http://www.hometheaterdirect.com
*=may be sub-par but I already had these

GabeR

Agent
Ok guess Ill wait to hear how it goes
I have a set of 3 way bookshelf I can use for the time being
I was debating whether to go with the htd level 1 setup or just wait and get something better
The receiver is the first step though. Yamaha htr-5540 seems to be more popular with people because of the options though.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I am also interested in the Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver. I just sold my Onkyo TX-8511 stereo receiver so that I can take advantage of the high-res capability of my Panasonic DVD-RA60 DVD-Audio/Video player. Looking not to spend more than $300.00. J&R has a good deal on the Technics SA-DA15K. However, for a little bit more, I can pick up some newer technology like Dolby Pro-Logic II with the TX-SR500. The receiver will be used 90% music/10% movies. Tough choice.

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the 500 with the jbl nsp1 /ar120 sub.
Since this is my first HT system, it's hard for me to compare, but all I can say right now is wow. Plenty of power. Great for both music and movies. I tweaked the speakers with the sound and vision tune up cd and an spl meter. It sounds solid. The only minor complain that I have is that jbl's sound warm compared to my older boston acoustics. I guess I like some brightness in the sound. The jbl's are very clean sounding.
For an entry level HT, you cant go wrong with the 500. And I keep reading on these forums that jbl matches onkyo very well
hope this helps
JL

GabeR

Agent
Im still kinda lost on the warm/bright sounding speakers?
NeilJl is there much distortion at high volume levels?
I dont watch movies too loud or music but Id like to crank it sometimes and have a nice sub to boot
thanks

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Gabe,
I don't hear any distortion at high volumes, unless I crank it up enough where I think something is going to blow up.
A "bright" sound, to me, is where you can hear every little sound very clearly. It almost has a metallic sound to it. When you hear a cymbal, it almost sounds high pitched it is so clear.
A "warm" sound is a clean sound but without this metallic component to it. That same cymbal will sound clean, not exaggerated like in "bright" sound. A warm sound is full bodied, relaxing, doesn't hurt your ears at high volumes, whereas a bright sound would, in my opinion

Personally, I like a little brightness in my sound cause I think you can hear the detail better

If you don't crank it up often, then I would suggest bright speakers. If you have a habit of cranking it up, then I would go for a warmer souonding speaker. Now I am a newbie, and all I just said is based on my small experience with the speakers I have at home(both bright and warm speakers). It is possible what I said is completely wrong. Hopefully someone with more experience will back me up.

That's the best I could do as far as describing these 2 sounds. Hopes it helps
JL

GabeR

Agent
Ok thanks
How do you like the quality of the receiver, and are you happy with it? I heard it "doesnt have many features"
I think I prefer little details also but want it to sound natural and not fake
I was thinking of getting the jbl set, but might wait to get each piece seperate so I can get better speakers in the long run and a sub that will provide bass

I am also new to theater and just want a good setup for the money that plays crisp sound
thankz

Niel_JL

Stunt Coordinator
Gabe,
you are right, it doesn't have many features. The speaker adjust/setup is pretty basic. I don't think I am experienced enough to need a more detailed setup. So what I have is fine. I do plan on upgrading in the future, but I think the setup that I have, for the money, is great. The system sounds very solid, so I wouldn't have any doubts as far as sound. :emoji_thumbsup:

Sathyan

Second Unit
OK, I've now setup my SR500. I'm using a Radio Shack 15-1843 FM antenna ($15). I like it! This receiver sounds really good - a clean, musical sound even on cheap speakers. One thing I noticed is that the volume has to be turned up to about 45 to hear anything but by 60 its room-shaking loud. Maybe its measuring decibels instead of watts. When I first turned on the system, I turned the volume to 20, then 30 and thought something was wrong. But no clipping, no distortion. FM sensitivity is very good - even on weak public stations.
Its really simple to use and setup. Most of the 30 min setup was stripping and running speaker wire. Boy that remote has a lot of buttons. What else...the manual is not very good, should include a step 1, step 2, step 3 setup list. Without adjusting the volume knob, stereo mode is louder than DSP, DPLII, or Direct. Have not tried AC3 yet and don't have DTS DVD. CD, radio, PC sound (MP3), and video tape all work well. I'm pleased with the receiver.
The HTD Level One's are really lacking in bass range. Too much reliance on the subwoofer (lower fidelity). Level Two goes down to 50Hz so that may be a better option for the fronts.
One other thing: I found Target is clearancing 6ft GE Toslink wires for $3.20 - I'm using this to connect the CD player and it works fine.

For anyone else with this system: I don't see the codes listed for controlling CD players (I have a Sony CD player) with the Receiver remote. Can it control CD players? Do you use a DVD code?

AV System:

Onkyo TX-SR500
Sony CDP-CE375
JVC HR-3800U
GE 19GT
HTPC (Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Toshiba DVD, Hollywood Plus)
HTD Level One System
Radio Shack indoor FM antenna
speaker wire - Philips 18ga
interconnects - radio shack & GE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks