What's new

Onkyo TX-SR500 + Panasonic DVD F85 Problem (1 Viewer)

Anthony M

Auditioning
I have an Onkyo TX-SR500 that I've been very happy with as the centerpiece for a small, modestly-priced home theater system. I recently purchased a Panasonic DVD-F85 5-disc changer to go with a new Hitachi widescreen. I have the component output from the Panasonic running directly to the TV and the video is great.

My issue is that I can't get the Onkyo to process either Dolby Digital or DTS signals from the Panasonic DVD-F85. I'm using an optical cable connection. I can get the system to work using either Multichannel (running 6 RCA cables from the Panasonic 5.1 RCA outputs to the Onkyo's 5.1 RCA inputs), or by setting the Panasonic to output PCM signals for both Dolby Digital and DTS, and setting the Onkyo to Dolby Pro Logic II (using the optical cable). Neither of these of course provides the same sound 'experience' that I'm looking for.

I am 99% sure that I've tried every combination of digital input settings on the Onkyo. Dolby Digital and DTS both work fine when I hook up 2-year old Sony single-disc DVD player (which doesn't have progressive scan or component out unfortunately).

My question is am I missing something here, or is the digital signal from the new Panasonic not compatible with the older Onkyo? I'm hoping it's the former. If it's the latter, can someone recommend a relatively inexpensive DVD player with progressive scan and component out that will work with the TX-SR500?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Steve Crowley

Stunt Coordinator
PCM is not what you want coming from your DVD unless you just want 24/96. You need to see what other output is in your menu system.

Anthony M

Auditioning
Thanks - the only other option is Bitstream, which is the default on the Panasonic for Dolby Digital. PCM is the default for DTS. No signal at all reaches the speakers when I have it set to Bitstream for either DD or DTS, which is what led me to change to PCM. Only when it's set to PCM am I able to use Pro Logic II (both the PCM and the Pro Logic II indicators light up on the Onkyo when I have it set to PCM on the Panasonic). I realize this isn't the right way to do it, but it seems to provide the best sound short of figuring out why the Bitstream output isn't working for the Onkyo.

The one possibility I left out of my previous post is that the the Panasonic is defective...?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks