Onkyo TX SR500 or Yamaha HTR 5550

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Yu, Jun 4, 2002.

1. John Yu

John Yu Auditioning

I'm trying to buy a receiver for a set of JBL NSP-1's that i just bought from buy.com. I can get the Onkyo TX SR 500 or the Yamaha HTR 5550 for about $300. I've also read that the denon 1602 is a good receiver. Just wanted some opinions about which receiver to get for $300 or less. I'll probably also get the sony sub as well.

2. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

I will go with Yamaha.

3. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

This is a no brainer for me. I would get the Yamaha. Way more features, more power, more inputs, 6.1 matrix, and a way better remote. The sound is subjective. I like the way both of them sound, so the features are what put the Yamaha out front IMO. Actually, the HTR-5550 is more equivalent with the Onkyo SR600 in performance, and costs way less. BTW, I have owned a Onkyo TX-DS494 and a Yamaha RX-V520 (both last years models of the two you are talking aobut) and love my Yamaha way more.
    Later

4. John Yu

John Yu Auditioning

Cool thanks for the info. i'll have to go out to best buy or tweeter and listen to the yamaha. I think AMEX will refund the difference in price between what i buy at best buy or tweeter and what i can find online. I'd much rather get the stuff locally in case anything goes wrong.

5. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    John,
    Just a word of warning about buying Yamaha online; Yamaha considers your warranty void if purchased online for most of their products. I'm not sure about the HTR line, you may want to investigate this if you are in fact considering buying online.

Not sure how much people save buying online but I think it's worth the extra cash to buy locally. Even though I'm a computer-geek/internet-junkie I still prefer to buy locally. I like going to the shop, picking out my product from the display and bring it home with me that same hour. And if I decide I don't like it I can just as easily take it back and exchange it for something else, also within the same hour. How can you beet that? Anyways, I guess there's no call for this rant since you stated yoruself you're not interested in buying online, I just thought I'd kill some time at work. [​IMG]

- Mike

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

For $300, also take a look for the pioneer VSX-D811S on-line. It seems some have gotten it that cheap via on-line ordering.

cheers,

--tom

8. LowellG

LowellG Stunt Coordinator

I like my RX-V530 just fine. This 6.1 as mentioned above was one of the main features I wanted. I just love when I see the receiver auto detect and decode a 6.1 soundtrack.

9. Kevin Parker

Lotta ppl recommending Pioneer 811s, It has way too many features for the price, but I dont know how they sound, which is the most important thing for me, any one have experience with 811s? are they comparible with yamaha and onkyo as far as sounds go? or someone chose them over onkyo or yamaha? If yes please let us all know bout your experience.

10. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

kevin, no one is going to answer the question which one sounds better to you other than you [​IMG]
    For me, I wanted to upgrade my budget setup in the den/family room to 6.1 and needed a 6.1 budget receiver

11. Kevin Parker

Thomas,
    I just ask that question cause I like sound on yamaha and onkyo receivers, and pioneer is not available in canada for now, so I will have to buy it online, thats why I wuz wondering if someone can campare it with onkyo's or yammies, and you said that there is not a big difference between onkyo and pioneer so I might like the sound, BTW what speakers you are using? I will be using Infinity Interlude series (IL25, IL10). and thanx for your comments.

12. Chris A H

Chris A H Stunt Coordinator

ThomasL,

Did you listen to all the models you mention?

Would you chacterize the 811S as being neutral/warm? What speakers are you using with it?

Thanks in advance.

13. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Kevin, well, to me there doesn't seem to be a big difference but others would disagree, I'm sure which is why it's really up to the individual. If you like the sound of the Onkyo or Yamaha, why not pick one up and give it a try in your own setup? Personally, I'd rather buy electronics locally so I have a real person to interface to in case there is problems - even if its just the guy at Best Buy. [​IMG] I don't think it's worth it going out of the way to save $50 on such a purchase but once again, others surely disagree [​IMG]
    Chris, I did not get to listen to the Yamaha or marantz but as mentioned, I had sort of put the Onkyo and Pioneer at the top of the list since they both had the feature set I wanted. I have heard a friend's Yamaha before and it sounded fine. I read all the manuals for all of them (as well as the Denon 2802 - in fact, I came within about an inch of splurging and picking up the 2802 at Tweeter and trying it out but the price difference of $300-$400 between the Denon and the other models was too much in the end). As mentioned, I like the sound of Onkyo as well. I will say that I think if you tend to listen at very high volumes then you should definitely audition things at least for music listening. The Pioneer does have a neutral sound but I tend to think it might be a little grating at high volumes depending on the speakers. We tend to listen at reasonable levels [​IMG] once again, I think I would be happy with any of the 4 but I wanted DTS-ES Discrete in hopes more DTS titles would be released in that format - once I watched Gladiator in that format I was hooked [​IMG] - that is one of the factors that narrowed things down to the Pioneer and the Onkyo models. I will say if I had known Denon was releasing an 1803 model later this summer and it will have essentially the same features as those two models then I would have waited.
    While they tend to get a lukewarm reception on the home theater boards, I have Cambridge Soundworks newton series speakers. I have a pair of Newton M50 bookshelves for my fronts, an MC300 for a center and two pairs of S300s for my rears and surrounds. An example of how speakers, for me, make a much bigger difference in sound than other components, I tried out the S300s in direct mode (identical to a Newton MC200 L/R main) compared to the M50 bookshelves for 2 channel stereo music. They are from the same line, have the same tweeter - with about the only difference being the M50 having a slightly bigger woofer (5.25" vs 4"). The sound was very different, enough that even my wife noticed the difference. The MC200 is much brighter, very detailed but it sounded extremely tinny to me. I didn't like it that much. The M50 was much more neutral, mellower sounding and just generally more pleasing to my ears. So, the S300s are fine for surrounds but I'm glad I didn't get MC200s for fronts. So, it was clear to me that even though they are from the same general line of speakers, there are major differences in how they handle things.
    cheers,
    --tom