What's new

Onkyo TX-SR500 New Receiver: when and questions (1 Viewer)

Wayne Reibold

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know when the new Onkyo TX-SR500 receiver will be released? I've seen reports of April but we're in April and I'm curious if it will actually be released this month.

Also, does anyone know if this receiver has a "tape monitor" loop for connection of an external equalizer? It's my understanding the 595 has this, I need this, and am wondering if the TX-SR500 and TX-SR600 have this capability. If not, I'll likely try to get a good deal on the 595 on closeout.

Crutchfield lists an ETA for both the Onkyo 500 and 600 as 5/10/02. I believe some stores already have them in-stock.

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Both the SR-500 and the SR-600 do not have pre-outs but do have tape loops. So you could hook up an equalizer to them. The receiver have been released (I have the SR-600) but some stores have run out of stock. You could ask around at places like Circuit City, Crutchfield, BestPriceAudioVideo.com JandR.com and Onecall.com.

Parin

Wayne Reibold

Stunt Coordinator
Parin,
I'm looking at the picture of the back of the unit in the PDF you provided the link to (http://63.148.251.141/files/own_manu...00_SR600_E.pdf) but only see tape in/out connections. Since I don't see a Tape Monitor button on the front of the unit but do see a Tape source button the way I understand what will happen is the Tape Out sends whatever source is playing and the Tape In is only used when the Tape source (vs. DVD, etc.) is chosen to playback a cassette. This is very similar to how VCR out/in connections work.
A tape monitor loop can always be active (both out and in parts of it) if the Tape Monitor button is selected on the front of the unit. Whatever source is selected is output, the external equalizer manipulates the signal and it is input back in. This type of setup works for whatever source is selected, it has nothing to do if the Tape source is selected.
Since I made the posting I got an e-mail from Onkyo and they're saying none of the SR-500, SR-600 and TX-DS595 have the proper connections for an equalizer. They're saying only the TX-DS898 has it. Is Onkyo correct?
Thanks,
Wayne

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry about that Wayne. I think you're right... after reading the manual, it seems that the SR600 (and probably the SR500 and DS595) only has a simple tape loop, no tape monitor. Onkyo is probably correct that you'll need to get a 898 to properly hook up an equalizer.

I can't really think of any receiver that has what you're looking for (tape monitor, PLII, 5 channels) in that price range. The closest I can think of would be the Harmon Kardon AVR-520, which you could find online for around $600-$650. The 520 has pre-outs for all channels and main-ins for the amplifiers, so you could hook up an equalizer in between there.

Parin.

Dave_Mullins

Auditioning
I have the Onkyo 898 and a rane ME-15 equalizer. I used the tape out and the MULTICHANNEL IN to run an eq loop. I had to turn REC OUT and MULTICHANNEL IN "on". I can only EQ stereo analog sources though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks