What's new

Onkyo TX-RZ610 Loss of OSD (1 Viewer)

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Yesterday, I tried to access the OSD to troubleshoot why I can no longer connect to my TX-RZ610 via the Onkyo app on my phone. To my surprise, all I get on screen is a "Please wait..." tag in the lower right hand of my TV screen, but nothing ever happens. Audio is fine. But I cannot access any OSD. I tried the reset to factory settings, but still not OnScreen Display. I've tried unplugging HDMI cables, power cables, and I can only access so many options on the LCD screen of the AVR itself. Has anyone else had any luck troubleshooting this issue?

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Yesterday, I tried to access the OSD to troubleshoot why I can no longer connect to my TX-RZ610 via the Onkyo app on my phone. To my surprise, all I get on screen is a "Please wait..." tag in the lower right hand of my TV screen, but nothing ever happens. Audio is fine. But I cannot access any OSD. I tried the reset to factory settings, but still not OnScreen Display. I've tried unplugging HDMI cables, power cables, and I can only access so many options on the LCD screen of the AVR itself. Has anyone else had any luck troubleshooting this issue?

After doing some more research, I found a suggestion to try a different input, such as Net, to see if the OSD works. It looks like it sorta is. I have the Onkyo black screen with “Now Initializing...”. I’m going to let it sit like this for a while and see if it works.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Update: After leaving the AVR on all night, including the TV, the "Now Initializing..." with the progress bar is still loading. No difference.

I'm thinking about loading a USB flash drive with the most recent firmware update. Has anyone here done an update via a USB drive before with an Onkyo AVR? Would you folks suggest this as a good next step?

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Update: So, I followed the directions on the Onkyo site to update the firmware via a USB drive, but it didn't work. In fact, the AVR won't give me the option to update the firmware. Because I don't have an OSD to look at on the TV, there is no "greyed out" option, it simply doesn't exist.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'm open to them. I am able to watch and listen to TV and movies as normal, but I have this constant "Please wait..." sign in the bottom right of my screen that's driving me nuts now. Ugh.

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Just thought I'd post back here to update this thread. I still have no OSD with my TX-RZ610. Receiver seems to work fine otherwise. Anyone else have this issue? There are no local certified repair shops near me. I am willing to open it up and check connections on my own. Anyone?

WinstonCely

Second Unit
Real Name
Winston Cely
Oh, I didn't mention it, but the Quick Menu button will give me an OSD. However, that's only for a few settings, and not the full OSD menu options.

raunchyray

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
Hey Winston,
I have the exact same issue but with the TX-RZ710. Quick menu will display, but not the main settings menu. I also cant update Firmware via USB. Symptoms appear to be identical. Did you ever end up with a fix?
Ta
Ray

mobius_one_fox3

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank
Greetings,

I seem to be having this issue as well now on the TX-NR797. If anyone was able to resolve this issue please let me know!

Here's how it happened in my case:

After noticing that the receiver no longer had a WiFi connection, I went to the hardware settings menu to attempt to reconnect to the WiFi. I turned the WiFi setting off then back on again, which did not resolve the issue. When I scanned for networks, nothing showed up. I then turned off the receiver and unplugged it for 30 seconds. When I powered the unit back on and attempted to enter the settings menu, the on-screen display just said "Please Wait", but the settings menu displayed on the front panel. I waited for 10 minutes but the on-screen display had not loaded. I attempted another power-cycle with the same result. I then attempted a factory reset through the front panel display. The receiver front screen now instructs me to complete setup through the TV, but the On-Screen display still says "Please Wait".

I sent an email to Onkyo, but their website says that they were acquired by 11 Trading Company and their phones are disconnected. A few posters mentioned that they cant get anyone to reply to their emails.

I'm a bit concerned as I just bought this receiver like 20 days ago, which is out of the return window for Best Buy. Really hoping I'm not stuck with an expensive brick.

raunchyray

Auditioning
Real Name
Ray
I still have this problem and so far dont have a fix. Onkyo said to send it to a service centre, but havent yet done that as its still functioning OK as a reciever, just cant update it or change the settings

Mutantgoat

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith Anthony
Has anyone found the solution to this issue? I just reset my Onkyo and had the exact same problem. I was able to correct it by simply unplugging the receiver and waiting a moment and then plugging it back in. Once it restarted everything was working properly. Hopefully this will work for others having the issue.

gruversm

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Gruver
My TX-NR797 was exhibiting the same issue with being able to view the OSD. A quick unplug and plug back in fixed the problem!

Jpcool3000

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan Pogras
Hey Everyone! I have owned Onkyo for almost 20yrs now.
I just bought a new Onkyo receiver in late 2019. I just now started having the same issues with our phones not connecting via wifi and no OSD when accessing the menu settings.

My previous Onkyo receiver failed to HDMI image with SOME connections. I had to switch the functions, or power cycle and then I would get an HDMI image.
I found out that this was cause by capacitors that had failed on the HDMI board. They're very tiny, and easy to replace if you're experienced in fixing printing circuit boards.
I replaced the caps, about 10 I think, and it work flawlessly! That receiver was 10yrs old, and I think it's still working great. I gave it away to a friend when I upgraded.

SO!

I think, that's the problem we're all having. I think the caps on the HDMI board have gone bad. This would make sense for my current situation, because we've realized that the circuit my receiver is plugged into is kind of maxed out. When my wife runs a vacuum cleaner, I get a voltage drop all the way down to 109V. . . for SOME electronics, that is not good!! That will put stress on components and cause them to fail.
So I'm kind of confident that this is the issue we're facing.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I've had receivers not show the menu over HDMI in the past and I would run a component cable (Yellow to Yellow) when I wanted to see the on screen menu. Not sure if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

Theam107

Auditioning
Real Name
Ahmed
Anyone was able to find a solution or at least figured out the cause/problem?

I’m facing the same exact issue on my Onkyo TX-NR656

The device is working fine but I can’t access the settings menu (OSD), and the device is sorta stuck on now initializing

dcchristopher

Auditioning
Real Name
Demetrios
Y’all get your Buy Me A Coffee funds ready…

I have a TX-NR6050 … same issue as everyone else: can’t connect via app, can’t get OSD to show, only Quick Menu, stuck on “Now initializing…” (aka “Please wait”). I was ready to just walk away as the usual solutions (Factory Reset, unplugging, etc.) didn’t work for others.

So I held the power button … it power cycled, I let go, it power cycled again on its own… boom, OSD! All of the sudden, I’m also seeing NET which apparently I had completely forgotten about. The Onkyo app was able to automatically detect the receiver on the network.

Just hold that power button down for a “reset” of sorts. I hope it helps everyone affected.

radyogead

Auditioning
Real Name
Alexandre
Thanks a bunch for that! It worked for me. Long hold of the power button et voilà. It did not reset any settings, but it did give me back network and OSD. Very strange... 🤷‍♂️

meteor45

Auditioning
Real Name
Jed
Ah!!! Thank you! Seriously, send me your buy me a coffee link 😊

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks