What's new

Onkyo TX-NR809 or Denon 1913 - Which should I buy? (1 Viewer)

dave patti

Auditioning
Real Name
bostonHT
Hi- New here and was hoping for some good advice.
Debating which receiver to buy between the two mentioned. The 809 is on Amazon for $426, the Denon is $529. I'm concerned about the horror stories with the Onkyo...
I'm upgrading from a 12 year old Yamaha 5260. Set up as follows:
60" Pana plasma
Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble satellites 5.1
Bic V1020 sub
Room is 13X22
Primary goal here is strong movie experience, music is secondary.
Thank you in advance for advice.
PS- Yamaha has never given me a problem. Is it realistic to think that whichever of these I buy will last another 10 years?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo horror stories are overblown. As you can tell by the price/feature ratio, Onkyo sells roughly 10x more 809 than Denon sells 1913.
Sell more, you have more break, period...simple. (as a side note, Onkyo has been eating up market share the last 6 years. They've been well over 40% market share, by themselves...even without the help of Integra. The 60X and 70X have been the number 1 and 2 selling AVR for 7 years running with Onkyo holding 6 of the top 10 sellers each year...so yeah, you'll find horror stories with that kind of market dominance)
Modern AVR(with the help of "other advancements"...lossless audio, 3D, impending 4K) are intended to be replaced in 3-6 years.
Long ago, the market place was dominated by $800-$1000 AVR(as that was the price where there were enough features to keep the AVR relevant for a while), now the "mean price" has dropped to $400-$600...coinciding with a concurrent drop in "how long people expect it to be relevant"...

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
FWIW, I've had my 809 for about 1.5 years now, with no problems at all. The 809 replaced my Yamaha RX-V1800, and to my ears sounds better for both movies and music.
Also, the Denon 1913 is not in the same ballpark with the 809 in terms of power.

lookyloo

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I've had my Onkyo for quite a while and haven't had any issues with it ... I have a Denon sitting becasue it was too complicated for me to figure out ... when I sold the equipment if you ran a Onkyo and denon on same speakers same source you couldnt tell a difference except in price tag and features ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks