onkyo tx-nr801

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by warren whit, Nov 24, 2004.

1. warren whit

warren whit Agent

hey guys, just trying to pair some speakers up to my amp, and was looking at some 4ohm polk audio lsi's. Was wondering, my amp is rated at 100 x 7 at 8ohms, does that mean it's pretty close to 200W x 7 at 4ohms? If so, i think the lsi's would be a great match for my receiver, as i haven't seen very many other 4ohm speakers out there.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    No, halving the impedance does not guarantee a doubling in power output; it depends on the amp. Amps that truly "double down" are not too common, and almost unheard of in receivers. The fact is, dropping the impedance also means these speakers will be drawing more current, the increase in power isn't free. This means you are run a greater risk of clipping during loud listening. 6 and 4 Ohm speakers are not as common for this reason, but there are still quite a few out there.

The LSis like a lot of power to make them shine, but most of the models should be fine being driven by something like the 801 as long as you don't have a very large room and aren't looking for ridiculous sound levels.

3. warren whit

warren whit Agent

Thanks for the response! It will be mainly for watching dvd's as well as music at lower levels. Think i'd run into problems with clipping at 4ohms?

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Which speakers are you considering?

Onkyo doesn't list the minimum impedance for this receiver, but does show a 3 Ohm rating with 2 ch driven, meaning this amp will probably be OK with 4 Ohm speakers. My girlfriend has 3 LSi 7s up front running off a Marantz SR5000 and it sounds great.

If you find that the receiver is struggling, you can add a separate amp for the two main channels to reduce demand on the receiver. I use main speakers that are similar in spec to the LSi9s and this is what I ended up doing with my Marantz 8300.