What's new

ONKYO TX-NR801 or Harman Kardon AVR7200 (1 Viewer)

Christapher H

Auditioning
I am looking for a new receiver to replace my old 500w, 5 channel, 100 Watts Per Channel, “Yamaha HTR 5450”. I bought it a little over two years ago, and recently I cranked it up two loud, and it went into protection mode and never came out of it. This wasn’t the first time it had gone into protection mode, but it had in the past come out of it fine. Another problem that I had with my Yamaha, was that it ran extremely hot when I had it cranked up for more than a half an hour or more. My first mistake was probley that I bought the unit from best buy “$300.” And the second was not having a fan to keep it cool. My question is, is there a receiver that I can get that wont burn out on me with frequent, extended periods of cranked up use. I really liked the sound quality that the Yamaha provided but am scared of buying another one.

P.S. I want my next Home Theater System Receiver to be able to be cranked up even loader than my old Yamaha, before I can detect distortion in the sound, and be able to maintain a high volume for a much longer time, and stay relatively cool while doing it. I would like to stay under $800. if at all possible.

14’ wide x 21’ long Living Room, with my couch located at about 14’ from the center speaker and 7’ from the rear speakers.

2 Front floor speakers = Cerwin-Vega V-12F … 8 ohms or less … 28 Hz - 20 kHz … 10 - 300W … 98 dB … Self-Resetting PTC (Tweeter) … Dimensions 34" x 13 5/8" x 14 1/4"
2 Front wall speakers = KLH 9930 … 8 ohms … Pair 2-Way 60 Watt per Channel Rear Speakers … Magnetically shielded
1 Front center speaker = KLH 9930 … 8 ohms … 2-Way 100 Watt Center Channel … Magnetically shielded
2 Rear wall speakers = JBL N26 Northridge Series … 8 ohms … Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power: 125 Watts … Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 88dB … Frequency Response (–3dB): 55Hz –20kHz … Crossover Frequency: 3000Hz … High-Frequency Driver: 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide … Low-Frequency Driver: 6" PolyPlas™ cone … Dimensions (H x W x D): 14-1/2" x 10-3/4" x 7-3/4" (368mm x 273mm x 197mm)

I have been considering a an “ONKYO TX-NR801” … 7.1-channel … 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels … THD (Rated Power) 0.08 % (all channels) … around $800.

-OR-

Harman Kardon AVR7200 … 7 x 100W 7.1 Channel AV Receiver

Stereo Mode
Continuous Average Power (FTC) Per Channel : 115 Watts per channel @

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
HK AVR7200. The Onkyo is a $999.00 list receiver that sell for $800. The HK is a $1799.00 list receiver currently selling at $788.00 so it is not really a fair comparison. The Harmon will eat the Onkyo's lunch in my opinion.

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Well ... on the flipside ...

After having owned an H/K 8000 then "upgrading" to an Integra DTR8.3 - my feeling is just the opposite - the Integra puts the H/K to shame. (The 8.3 is the prettier sister of the Onkyo NR900). H/K has had wayyy too many QC issues - plus the 7200 runs hotter than the 8.3 - so ensure you have 'more than' proper clearance if you put it in a rack.

../TC :D

Christapher H

Auditioning
I'm starting to shift direction twords the H/K. I like all the features that the ONKYO TX-NR801 has like THX Surround EX 7.1 Processing, and HDTV Capable 50 MHz. But I need a Receiver that can handle my power sucking "10-300W" Cerwin-Vega V-12F's. I dont want to burn out another Receiver, and it sounds like the Harman Kardon AVR7200 will do a better job "Weight 53 Pounds" compaired to the ONKYO "Weight 37 Pounds". The Intergra DTR8.3 might be a better Receiver, but concidering my $800 limit, doesnt seem to be an option!

Jamie Peters

Agent
Unless I am mistaken, the Onkyo 701 has all the features of the 801 EXCEPT the internet connectivity. Do you need this for an extra $200? If not, then get the 701. It can be had for $599 and free shipping from bestpriceaudiovideo.com

I have recently purchased and installed a 701 and I am very happy with it. I have not however listened to any other receivers in my Room with my speakers, so I can not offer any comparisions for you..... Why not by the less expensive one and then if it does not suit your taste, return it and go on up?

Christapher H

Auditioning
The reason why I listed 801 as an option instead of the 701 is that the 801 has 7.1 Channel Surround, and the 701 is 6.1 Channel Surround. I guess I should have stated that I have defiantly decided that 7.1 is a must for my new receiver, since I am running 7 speakers it only makes since to take advantage of the availably of 7.1 to more accurately balance out my speakers demand. Right now with the $800 limit It comes down to which receiver is less likely to burn out, taking into consideration my blood "Watt" sucking Cerwin-Vega's

Christapher H

Auditioning
Well, I went and bought the Harman Kardon AVR7200 receiver, and have to say that I'm not sure what to think. When I put a music CD in my DVD player I can crank that Harman Kardon AVR7200 receiver more (Loader) than my Yamaha ever could and the sound quality is unbelievable, but when I put a DVD in I cant get it to crank up to the same volume level as with a Music CD. When I'm watching a shoot'em up movie I turn them up and the volume wont go any higher, and my old Yamaha was much louder when watching a DVD or my Sat. TV. I tried messing with all the different setting and still couldn’t get that volume up there!

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
If you are listening to the 7200 at max volume and are able to enjoy it, you have some issues that I don't think we will be able to address here on this forum. That has to be doing some type of damage to both your ears and your speakers. If you are looking for more impact out of your system , especially for movies, try investing in a subwoofer to take the bass load off of your mains. That would give your more impact and cleaner highs. I am glad I don't live next door to you :D

Also take the advice above of making sure your equipment is not closed in a cabinet and has plenty of room to breath.

Donald Wong

Agent
That's definitely weird. With my 7200, the max volume I would use is -35 for stereo listening, -25 for DTS movies, and -15 for DD movies. Any higher and it would be too painful to listen to. :)

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I just ordered the 7200 from OneCall, using the TechBargains discount link. I'm so excited -- I can't wait!!!!!:) :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Well thanks for telling me about the HTF discount link, guys! NOT! :angry:

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
No, if you just go to the OneCall site directly the 7200 is $832.26, plus the same shipping cost.

Dah-Dee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
Right, right, I was just coming back to correct myself, was thinking you meant with or without a special link (whether HTF or TB). Silly me -- moral outrage mode and all. I actually should have put a ;) after the :angry: in my first post, just picking to begin with. Hee hee. Hee.

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Christopher - could be basic input level/dynamic range issues. I can't tell you exactly where to go in your menus 'cause I don't have a 7200, but I'm sure someone w/ hands-on experience can correct whatever I spew wrong here.

CDs often sound louder than DVDs due to dynamic level settings - CDs usually start out louder but don't have the huge dynamic range of DD and DTS. Since the digital sources (DD/DTS, etc.) are designed to allow for big booms and all those other sound effects w/ big peaks their "base level" will usually start off sounding quieter. Not a bad thing at all, and helpful to those who want to keep their hearing intact, but it can take some darned setup to get your receiver working the way you want.

You did already go through setting up/calibrating your system yet? I still pull out the Avia disk every so often and it really makes a difference. Your manual should have full setup info, along w/ making sure the connection(s) from the sources are set up right. Those numbers quoted by Donald Wong sure seem spot-on, 'cause I know the 7200 has deafening power when cranked. Re-check your full setup (it's EZ-Set w/ HK, isn't it?) and/or also check levels w/ Avia, etc. - the 7200 doesn't lack for volume.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Let me say I own a HK AVR-225 and love it. Does everything I need it to do. Doesn't include alot of fancy stuff except for the best looks any of any reciever and Logic7 processing.

The AVR-7200 would be the best bang for the buck reciever I could ever think of. It offers a wealth of power, much more than it is rated per channel, offers a very nice, unique look that only HK offers, and also has plenty of decoding and processors to drive you so wild you won't even experience half of them.

The 7200 will be able to blast through movies. I've seen some tests where this reciever has been able to deliver a steady 140W at full load on all of it's 7 channels, driving a full range from about 20HZ-20KHz. Now that is what I call powerful. I don't think it gets much better than that, and if it does your paying twice as much.

Good hunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks