What's new

Onkyo TX-NR801 Heat Problems? (1 Viewer)

DarrenB

Grip
Has anyone else on this forum had problems with an Onkyo TXNR801 getting hot? My wife has been watching the TV all day and when I got home I could not touch the top of the receiver. I have noticed that it gets pretty warm sometimes but never this hot. I guess it could be the cabinet that it's in. There is a glass door on the front with a vertical opening down the middle of the cabinet in the back. Do you all think that this is enough ventilation or should I add a fan to circulate more air through the space? Thanks for the comments.

Darren Bailey

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
In the advanced Setup menu ... switch the speaker impedance to 4 ohms from the default.

That should greatly diminish the heat output.

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

I wouldnt do that (unless you had 4-ohm speakers).

Your wife uses the receiver all day too? I didnt know you needed surround sound for soaps and talkshows.

Tom Camlioglu

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah...
I've got an Integra DTR 8.3 on my HTPC - hooked into Energy speakers ... I tried it and it's quite a difference.

DarrenB

Grip
Thanks for the help guys. After you said something about the Ohm setting I went and checked and sure enough it was set at 6. My speakers are some older Klipsch KG 3.5's and their impedance is listed as 6 but just to be safe I set the receiver at 4 ohms and man did it make a difference in the heat generated. Are there any drawbacks to using this receiver at 4 ohms on 6 ohm speakers?

Thanks again for the responses.

Darren

Users who are viewing this thread