What's new

Onkyo TX-NR616 (1 Viewer)

Arwaman

Auditioning
Real Name
jackson
Hi everyone
very informative forum you all have here. I've been looking at the Onkyo TX-NR616 series and it seems to have all the specs that I need for my purposes but I keep reading about how there have been major quality control issues and hdmi problems with this receiver. I wanted to know if there were people that didn't have these problems or is it seriously widespread. thank you
What would be alternative options around this price range? thank oyu

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What widespread 616 problems? The X1X haven't been out long enough to have widespread problems...
Unless you mean "Onkyo in general"...
Then yes, you'd be correct that the company that owns 40% of the AVR market makes the most failures. Just like Toyota makes more lemons than FIAT does.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, I did look for reviews of the 616...
Seems there are some people with firmware issues. Denon had a problem 2 years ago when the first firmware update would cause the receivers to die(the lan connection overheated, taking the receiver with it...oops)
There are also apparent flaky handshakes. So, HDMI handshake is the one big problem with HDMI in general. So, "flaky handshake" happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks