What's new

Onkyo TX-DS989 setting questions (1 Viewer)

RobTauber

Agent
I am trying to figure out how to set my Receiver to get the best sound out of it, and am hoping some other 989 owners can help me out.I have a couple of questions. I am running two cables from the sub outs on the receiver. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? Does anyone have the ver2 upgrade, if so, is it worth it or not? Also, how and why would I hook up power amps to this unit?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Your question doesn't have enough info. How to get the best sound out of WHAT? DVDs? music? "everything" isn't good enough. With what sources and what connection types?

To hook up an external amp, you connect the receiver's pre-amp outputs to the amp and the amp to the speaker. Why? MORE POWER :D If your speakers are power hungry or your room is very large, it may be beneficial. The 989 already has a pretty stout amp section. My Marantz 8300 is rated at 120wpc, but I picked up two monoblock amps for my mains and got a pretty noticable improvement in depth and detail.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
Can't help with the subwoofer question (I'm using a y-splitter from one sub-out into my SVS 20-39PCi), but I skipped the v2 upgrade entirely.

I don't think it's worth it. I'm not big on THX certification, and unfortunately, some of the v2 upgrades made several settings global. My advice is to spend your $500 elsewhere, but your mileage may vary.

John's dead-on with his pre-out/amp response. In fact, I'm currently trying to get a dedicated amp for my DTR-9.1 (Integra version of the 989). I'm overdriving my receiver to the point of "whirring" and "ticking" around reference levels. A dedicated amp will take away a great deal of the stress you place on your receiver. :)

Best regards,
~~Nathan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks