Onkyo TX-DS989 & DVD Audio hookup ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by David Flora, Aug 27, 2004.

1. David Flora

David Flora Stunt Coordinator

Hello. I have an Onkyo TX-DS989 and a Panasonic DVD-CP72 player. My question concerns the hookup for the DVD-Audio side of the DVD player. I just purchased my first DVD-A disc today, and I also bought 6 cables to hook up to the DB-25 multichannel hookup on the back of the 989 and the individual outputs on the Panny, but since I have my Panny hooked up through my optical input I can't seem to get the DB-25 individual cable hookup to work. For some reason I thought that for DVD-A you should use the individual hookups and not the digital inputs for the best sound. Am I thinking correctly? If so, does anyone out there have a 989 and has anyone used the DB-25 input? How should I hook everything up to have the best sound on both DVD's and DVD-A's? Sorry about all the questiosn, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

Have you turned the Multichannel option to "Yes" in the input setup of the 989? I totally missed that in the manual when I originally tried the DB-25 cable.

3. David Flora

Nathan,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I had my multichannel input turned on on the receiver. Just to give it a shot, I disconnected my optical input from the dvd player to see if I could get the DB-25 input to work, and I just get silence. I'm starting to run out of ideas, so any more ideas would be appreciated! Either way, is it better to use the 6 individual lines for DVD-A or is it better to just stick with an optical digital line?

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

You MUST use the 6 channel input for DVD-A.

5. David Flora

Ok, so now that I know I have to use the 6 inputs I'm really confused why my dvd player refuses to play off the inputs. If I keep the optical input plugged in(I'm using Sheryl Crow's DVD-A which is in DTS ES), I still get DTS ES in 6.1 surround coming out of my Onkyo. The sound is amazing, but when I unplug my optical and plug in my 6 channels I get no sound. I've looked through my dvd player's and receiver's on-screen displays and I just can't figure out what I'm missing. Unfortunately I no longer have my CP72's manual, so if anyone out there has a Panny and would like to share with me what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

6. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

7. David Flora

Thanks for the link for the manual. In looking over the manual, it seems as though I'm doing everything I should be doing, but still no sound when only connecting the 6 lines. I get full 6.1 surround by using my optical input, but I'm still confused. I'm starting to worry that something might be wrong with either my receiver or dvd player....

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

David

which Sheryl Crow album did you get? the only one with DTS-ES I see (on Amazon) is The Globe Sessions a DTS audio CD (not DVD-Audio)

9. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Did you select multichannel on your receiver ?

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

David, I think you bought this rather than this (scroll about 3/4 of the way down). The dvd-audio release doesn't have any type of DTS on it.

I've never heard of a DB-25 input on a receiver until now so can't really offer any help with that.

11. David Flora

You guys are correct. I did buy The Globe Session DTS-ES encoded disc. I guess that may be causing my problem. It's just strange because it is still a DVD-A disc. But like I've said before, when I use the optical digital connection it comes right up on my Onkyo and says that it's playing in DTS ES, so it still sounds great. I guess I just picked a poor disc as my first DVD-A purchase! I'll go out and pick up another disc and see if I get anywhere with it.

12. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

the DTS-ES isn't a DVDA disc - so it can't be a poor DVDA disc [​IMG]

check out this thread for some recommendations for DVDA discs.

13. David Flora

Actually as you take the dvd out of the holder it says DVD Audio on it, so I'm guessing it is a DVD-A disc, or they packaged the thing incorrectly....