What's new

Onkyo TX DS898....Avail in Black or Champagne? (1 Viewer)

Jamie

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the US version of the 898 is an option in either black or champagne, or just black? Most of the online retailers show it being in black, and not nearly as impressive looking at the champagne version online @ www.onkyo.net with the drop down drawer, can someone please confirm this???
Thanks

Finn Z

Auditioning
The 898 will only be available in Black in the US. The Onkyo.net site is for Europe. It also shows a Pronto style CHAD touchscreen remote as included with the European model, but in the US it has to be purchased seperately. I also thik that the silver model looks great, but it's whats inside, that counts. I already have a pronto and ordered the unit for $999 from CC so I'm not complaining. My info was gathered from speaking with Onkyo reps and with Crutchfield who had 37 units when I spoke to them.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jamie, Onkyo receivers marketed in the US are black. I believe their Integra models, which are generally better than the Onkyo models, are silver. Most manufacturers market black components in the US, unfortunately, but it is changing slowly. We are seeing more and more DVD players being offered in gold or silver as well as black. For some reason, color choices tends to be limited to DVD players. Anyway, Onkyo's web site in the US is www.onkyousa.com .
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

ChrisA

Second Unit
I am all for choices, but I would be the first one to complain if I could only chose champagne. Black and Home Theater go hand in hand, and still is my first choice. Certainly, the ability to chose makes everybody happier.
------------------
Link Removed

Jamie

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, that's what I was afraid of. I know most here probably prefer black, but I've run through my fair share of black audio/video gear, I would have liked to have owned a champagne or peuter colored receiver for a change. I remember back in 1998, when Circuit Shitty actually carried Integra, and they definitely were champagned colored. The new Integra line is dark champagne from what I can see on the integrahometheater.com website. Cosmetically, I guess it doesn't really matter.....................geez, I'm beginning to whine line my wife about what color my gear is!!!! Scary.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jamie, one of my local dealers sells Integra, and their receivers look really sharp. You might want to check them out. They will cost you a bit more than the Onkyo models, but the Integra receivers are supposed to be better. So, you should get better sound and cosmetics with Integra.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
The Integra's look almost exactly the same the corresponding Onkyo, except for a silver volume knob and power button. They MAY actually sound better, but I don't recall reading a post from someone who has auditioned both in the same environment making that claim.
Integra 9.1
dtr91.jpg

Onkyo 989
txds989f.jpg

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks