What's new

Onkyo TX-DS797 and The Phantom Menace (1 Viewer)

Andrew Quai-Ford

Auditioning
I am interested in purchasing the Onkyo TX-DS797 receiver but I'm worried about its ability to decode Dolby Digital Surround EX. I've read about the Pearl Harbour, Jurrasic Park III and Atlantis threads and Onkyo's web site about the new receivers' attempts to play Dolby Digital tracks properly.

Do I have anything to worry about Onkyo 797 playing TPM and The World is Not Enough?

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator
The problem with playback of Pearl, JP3, and Atlantis relates to the encoding method of the DD track (a "new trick" with the EX flag that caused problems with a number of receivers). The problem does not affect Phantom Menace or any other movie, and Dolby has reportedly moved to prevent any future discs being encoded in this manner.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
TPM plays perfect on my 989. On those other titles, to avoid the problem, just listen to the DTS track. I have never experienced the dropouts because I listen to DTS only.

Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks