Onkyo TX-DS787 with Paradigm Monitor 9's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alexander G., Feb 2, 2002.

1. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

I am planning to buy the Paradigm Monitor 9's at the end of this month, and I am looking for a receiver. The dealer I am buying from is offering this setup to me for $1,537.14 including tax. He is charging me $700 for the receiver and $730 for the Paradigm Monitor 9 mains. How does this sound for pricing, and what about the receiver? Will this receiver work well with the speakers, or would you recommend something else? Please note that it's his last receiver and it's been used by the store.

All advice is appreciated, thanks.

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

why get a used reciever for 700? get a new 696 or a 797!
    or denon 2802/3802. all have prologicII that the 787 has not, though it is thx select.
    did you check the paradigm studio 20/40? theyre are a bit better than the 9's, though you have to listen yourself...
    i'd say do some auditioning before buying.
    all said, those products are very good, and theyre a good mach. the speakers are slightly "less" than the reciever.
    [​IMG]

3. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I have not listened to those Paradigms simply because there are no retailers around here that carry them. I'll certainly go look into those receivers, however (I've been considering the 2802). Thanks again.

4. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Breck,

Thanks for the advice. At first I will be only listening to music since I will only have the mains. Some time down the road I may get full surround sound, so I do want a receiver that is very good for music, and good for home theater. The 3802 retails at $1,200, but you say I can find it online for $700. Most merchants that honor Denon's warranty sell the 3802 for around $1,000, so I am guessing a $700 one doesn't have an honored warranty. Is this true, and is the honored warranty worth the price difference? Also, can you recommend some reliable stores online from which I could purchase this receiver?

I have been recommend the Studios before, but no merchant around here sells them, so I have not been able to hear them. If I were to get full surround sound, I was considering (although I have not researched this nearly enough) using minimonitors as the rears. My room doesn't exactly have the best conditions for listening to music, so I need a versatile speaker, and I think the Monitor 9's can do that for me.

Thanks again for your advice.

Alexander

5. Alexander G.

Alexander G. Extra

Well, I looked around and I found the Denon 2802 for $545 and the 3802 for $730 at CrazyEddie's. I called them and I was told that they buy all their stuff from authorized dealers, so the warranty would be honored by Denon. I am inclined to buy a Denon over an Onkyo since it seems like Denon is generally better for music, but which Denon should I buy? There are few differences between the receivers, one of which is a 10 watt per channel difference. What would you recommend?

6. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Alexander,
    If you're going to purchase your receiver online, I'd suggest looking them up on the Better Business Bureau's web site (www.bbb.org) and www.audiosurvey.com to get some idea of what they're like to deal with. Crazy Eddie is NOT an authorized dealer. Make sure you read their posted return policies on the web site. Many online retailers have a 7, 14 or 30 day return policy and after that, you're on your own. A lot of the time, they say that warranties will be handled directly between the consumer and manufacturer. If so, you'll be at the mercy of Denon, Yamaha, etc. if you don't buy stuff from one of their authorized B&M or online retailers. I'm not trying to bash online shopping and have done a lot of HT shopping on the Web, but the onus is on us, the buck-savers, to do a little research in advance. By the way, one of the better posted policies I've seen is from:
    www.reliableaudiovideo.com
    They're actually an online channel for Uncle's Stereo in NYC and they acknowledge that they're not authorized to sell certain brands like Yamaha, Denon, etc. However, they explicitly state that any warranty issues will be dealt with by them--you return the item to Reliable, and they deal with the return/repair. I have never actually purchased from them, though I came very close once or twice. They also have a pretty clean record on both bbb.org and audiosurvey.com. Good luck!

7. StevenS

StevenS Auditioning

J&R store (www.jandr.com) is an autorized dealer for Onkyo and seems to me for Denon too. It sells Onkyo 797 for $720-800. I bought it for $720.
    I surprised when people byuing something without research and pays much more.