Onkyo TX-DS787 & 696, NAD 761, or Sherwood Newcastle R-963

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Dietrich, Oct 12, 2001.

1. John Dietrich

John Dietrich Auditioning

May 4, 2000
    Has anybody compared these 4 four receivers? I trying to make a decision that seems to be complicated. Would like all comments good and bad. I'm interested in the DPL II which 787 does not have. My kids have alot of Disney tapes and I believe this feature would be great. Thanks for all your posts!
  2. Seth T

Seth T Stunt Coordinator

Dec 8, 2000
    That's the one I'm waiting for...rumours are that it's out now, and Crutchfield has it listed for $999.95, so I expect online e-tailors to have it for $850-900ish. Unfortunately, no local HT B&M has it yet, so I have yet to see it.
    Key Features:
    - 6 x 135 W/Ch at 6 Ohms, 1 kHz (DIN)
    - 6.1-Channel Amplifier
    - 7 Digital Inputs (4 optical / 3 coaxial; 6 assignable) and 1 Optical Output
    - DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete, 6.1 Matrix and Neo:6 Matrix
    - THX Surround EX
    - DVD-Audio / SACD
    - Dolby Digital
    - Dolby Pro Logic II
    - HDTV Ready
    - Progressive-Scan DVD
    Everything a growing boy needs. [​IMG]
    The only discrepancy I've seen online is in the power ratings. The above Onkyo link says 6x135w. A press release PDF file I grabbed (with [email protected] (Germany) as the contact) states 6x135w. Most all of the online places I've checked spec it at 6x100w...I suppose I could E-Mail Onkyo and ask for clarification, but since it's going to be a few months before I have the cash for it...
  3. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

Oct 6, 2001
    I would suggest the TX-DS696 if you don't need the extra features of the TX-DS797. (THX, 6.1,.. )
    Not to mention, you can find the TX-DS696 for around $600
  4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Nov 4, 2000
    I am looking at the Onkyo 787 myself, but so far nobody has been able to tell me how it compares to the Denon 3801 in terms of 2Ch sound quality and power.
    People are so hung up on features (X channels, DTS ES Discrete this, Matrix that...) it seems sound quality is a distant second [​IMG]