Onkyo TX-DS595 & Standesign speaker stands

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Laughter, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

To commemorate the return of the forum . . . . . . I'd like to inform everyone that I ordered my Onkyo TX-DS595 and my Standesign speaker stands from JandR this weekend!!! Woohoo, DD and DTS here I come!!!!
    [Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on July 23, 2001 at 02:13 PM]

2. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Congrats Sean!
    New equipment is always the best way to temporarily cure the disease that we call home theater.
    Of course, after a month we are always eyeing something new... [​IMG]
    I am anxiously awaiting my 56H80... 9-14 more business days until delivery... [​IMG]
    Maybe I should buy a DVD to hold me over. I'm not addicted...I can stop anytime, really!
    GM

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I just put down a deposit on some PSB Image series speakers and a Marantz SR 7200 receiver at Whitby Audio. I wonder if I will be the first person from that store to buy the new model? Eeew-wow. Won't that be cool. Heheh. JK. Won't be here until last week of August. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa. I can't wait that long!

4. Sean Laughter

Thanks Galen. Now I just need to get to Best Buy to buy that Sony subwoofer. I'm using this all with the JBL NSP1, and I just rearranged the furniture in my room to attempt and get enough room to spread my fronts out a bit more so I'll have a wider front stage (physically anyway). Still not sure how I want the rears though. They'll have to be mounted to the wall so they'll probably both just be pointing straight out toward the opposite wall, though I may try and toe them in. Not sure of how high to mount them though.

5. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Sean,
    I do love a good sub...which Sony sub are you looking at? I really haven't heard any Sony subs before, and was wondering if they deal out a decent punch. I bought an Atlantic Tech 8" sub about two years ago that got great reviews, and puts out some nice tight bass, albeit not as low as the bigger names. However, for $150 you can't beat the value. I live in an apartment and really can't jack the sub up too loudly or my neighbors tend to come around to 'appreciate' my system first hand. [​IMG]
    As for your surrounds, I have mine set up facing each other in the back of my setup. It works just fine. If you do mount them, I believe the optimum height is 2' over the listening area. So if your head is around 4' high when you are in the sweet spot, then the surround speakers should ideally be around 6' high.
    Good luck, and let me know how you resolve the surround speaker issue.
    GM

6. Sean Laughter

I'm getting the Sony SA-WM40 which is a 12" sub I believe. It comes highly recommended on the forum for its price range (though some people prefer the JBL subs for about $100 more than the Sony). The Sony is about $200 at Best Buy, I'm hoping they'll have a customer appreciation weekend here soon so I can get $20 off, but if not, the 20 extra bucks isn't too big a deal (but just watch one of those weekends happen the weekend AFTER i buy the sub, it never fails! [​IMG] )
    I'll probably put up a floorplan of the room with some roughly outlined furniture so I can get some ideas on the surrounds, the fronts aren't really too much of a problem. Know any good free image hosting sites I could put the pics on?
    I might also scan in some polariods of the room too. There's not really anyway for me to put the rears on the side walls and have them face each other which is my main concern and why I may just end up having them toed in slightly and mounted on the back wall. We'll see. Maybe I'll put the floorplan up tonight since I can do that pretty quickly.