Onkyo TX-DS595: allows connection of external equalizer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wayne Reibold, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Wayne Reibold

Wayne Reibold Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone confirm if the Onkyo TX-DS595 allows connection of an external equalizer?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    What kind of equalizer do you want to connect, and to equalize what?

Old-fashioned stereo 10-band EQs require a receiver with a switchable tape monitor loop and you can only use them with stereo music sources - CDs, FM radio, etc. They really should not be used with Dolby Pro-Logic, and are not compatible at all with Dolby Digital, so they have to switched out for most DVDs.

For any other equalization – subs, Dolby Digital-compatible equalizing of the mains and/or surrounds – you need a pre-amp output for each channel you want to equalize.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Wayne Reibold

This is a proprietary Bose equalizer that MUST be used with Bose 901s for them to sound at all correct.

These speakers used to be mine and now my parents have them. They're custom mounted hanging from the ceiling and they're quite happy with them so replacing them isn't an option.

When I had the 901s I was using them with a Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver with the Bose equalizer and 5.1 speaker setup and they sounded very good, even on Dolby Digital and DTS. I don't understand all of the details of the tape loop.

My parents are currently only watching DirecTV with a non-Dolby Digital receiver so no Dolby Digital and no DTS (and no DVD player). I'm considering upgrading their DirecTV receiver to one with Dolby Digital since they watch a lot of HBO and Showtime and I know some of those channels have Dolby Digital broadcast.

Their current receiver that just blew up is a DPL only receiver, probably 6 years old.

So that's the situation...

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Wayne Reibold

From what I remember the Yamaha RX-V2095 doesn't use a tape monitor loop and I don't recall engaging anything like a Tape Monitor button on the unit.

Yamaha calls the connection a coupler main channel preout and main in and has something in there shorting it out when it's not in use.

All I can tell you is on my Yamaha RX-V2095 I had the equalizer permanently wired in the coupler loop and was able to hear Dolby Digital and DTS (as confirmed on the front of the display) and the 901s sounded very good in DPL, DD and DTS.

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wayne (gee, I feel like I’m talking to myself! [​IMG] ),

7. Wayne Reibold

Does anyone know what current receivers have the coupler loop? Is Yamaha probably the only game in town?

8. parin_patel

parin_patel Stunt Coordinator

The Harman Kardon AVR 520 allows you to do that. From Crutchfield's website:

9. Wayne Reibold

Harman Kardon's website specifically states an equalizer can NOT be used with the AVR 520. I don't know who to believe. One thing that adds suspicion to the AVR 520 is the back of the unit isn't shown with a wire shorting out the loop unlike the Yamaha receivers that definitely have this capability (without using a "tape monitor" loop). Who to believe?!?

10. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I've never seen the jumpers on the 520 photos either but they must supply them. I have 2 510's and they always came supplied with jumpers. Here's Crutchfield's old webpage for the 510 back photo:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...510&display=XL
    A 510 will only give 5.1 but you CAN add equalizers even though the stupid FAQ's on H/K website says you can't...DUMB. That's about the only dumb thing I've found in connection with H/K, though.[​IMG]

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wayne,