Onkyo TX-DS575x

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lance Haile, Aug 30, 2001.

1. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

Well I've researched and researched for many months, and have finally decided that I want to bite the bullet and go with the Onkyo 575. However, this model has been discontinued. I thought I might get lucky and pick one up on close-out, but no such luck. The guy at evil CC told me they just sold their last one this morning...for $199. Now I'm really upset, because knowing that makes it really hard to shell out $300plus for a refurbed receiver.
    My question is this: Where can I get one for less, or is there anything else I should consider (I found a Sony 333ES for $386)?

2. G Miller

G Miller Stunt Coordinator

Hey Lance,
    This has nothing to do with your question as I live in Australia so I couldn't help even if i wanted to.
    Im in the same boat as you though in terms of reciever purchasing. I was wondering how you decided on the 575x over the 595. These two units plus the Yamaha rxv 620 are the three final contenders for my dollar. I haven't gone searching in depth for the differences between the two Onkyo models, but as far as i know DPL II is the only main gain in the new model.
    Well I hope you find luck in getting your reciever for cheap. But just to make you feel better, I'm looking at forking out $1000 AUS (equivelent to $533.81 US)for the 575x and $1250 AUS (equivelent to $667 US) for the 595 or the 620.
    DAMN AUSTRALIA FOR HT.
    ------------------

3. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

They have a refurbished Onkyo 575X at http://www.onecall.com
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"

4. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

I just purchased the 575x from onecall.com I was actually looking at a full HT system so I opted for the package that had the Velodyne CT100 the Onkyo 575x and 5 NHT SuperZeros. Prices at $790.00 or so. Based on what I was going to pay for a Yamaha Receiver and JBL Sub I was able to get this deal shipped and the NHT's where a freebee. They sound good enough for my living room but won't make it into my home theater room I don't think. (The NHT's that is). They did fit the wife factor of OneCall let me get the NHT's in white.
    [Edited last by Dan_Myers on August 31, 2001 at 09:22 AM]

5. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

You can also get the 595 delivered from jandr.com for $399. That should be much better than the Sony and is the replacement of the 575x.

6. Lance Haile

Lance Haile Extra

I came to the 575 conclusion after researching here and many other internet sites. I have also auditioned most of the recievers in my price range and feel the onkyo's come out ahead for the money. I have decided on the 575x rather than the 595 for two reasons. One, I have read many reviews of both, and the DPL II seems to be the only additon to the 595, with lower build quality. Second, since the 575 is discontinued, I thought I could get it for a better price. Onecall's price is good, but it is B stock and still $100 more than the open box that CC unloaded for $199.
    On that note; any opinions on buying a refurbished unit?

7. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

Lance;
    I do believe mine is refurbished and it works great. If I never told you, you wouldn't know it was a used model.
    ------------------
    -J.Fo
    "And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"