Onkyo tx-ds494 vs. Harmon Kardon avr-110

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Douglas Boulanger, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Douglas Boulanger

Hi everyone,
    Witch one is better? I Have NHT superone's and Super two's. I use it for a 50/50 split between ht and music.

2. Douglas Boulanger

I need to make a decision today...

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

douglas -
    just curious myself. which one did you pick?
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

4. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I've owned both brands in DD/DTS flavors. Both are great receivers, but in terms of all around sound quality, HK wins for a more refined output for both movies and music. True the Onkyo has DPLII, but the HK has a 5-speaker mode for Logic 7 that is every bit as good as DPLII.

5. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

Douglas; My brother owns and uses both speakers. He has a Yamaha 2095 powering the two supertwos and the three superones. On audioreview.com, many who reveiewed the supertwo claimed they needed alot of juice to push them. Be sure that whichever receiver you buy, that you can get your money back. Although both receivers may be top notch entry level receivers, they might not have the gusto to push the supertwos. Of course they could be fine for the supertwos as well. I have scene some funny relationships between speakers and amps in my lifetime that can really surprise you. I consider the "twos" one of the great speakers to own.

6. Douglas Boulanger

Ok I picked up the Onkyo 494 from Circuit City for $330 out the door and got some cheap center and surrounds (which I traded my friend for a car cover). The sound was suprising for only 55 wpc. The pro-logic two sounded much better than regular pro-logic. It just happens to be that my distributor carries Harmon Kardon, So I returned the Onkyo 494 and picked up the HK avr-210 for $350 out the door from my distributor. Power wise it's about the same as the Onkyo, SQ wise the HK wins. As of right now in my room there is enough bass that I don't need a subwoofer. There is a lot of bass. I think a 2 ch or 5 ch power amp is next. Because these super two's are nowhere near their potential.