What's new

Onkyo TX-DS 797 vs Denon 3802? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What are the differences and which do you feel is the better receiver for the money?

PaulCK

Auditioning
Onkyo is THX certified Denon is not. Denon is rated at 110 watts Onkyo at 100. But Onkyo is known for under rating their wattages. Denon is 7.1 Onkyo is 6.1. I went throught the same decision process and ended up with the Onkyo. The THX is nice, I think the quality is better, and I did'nt need the extra channel.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
At least the onkyo has 7.1 preouts. I don't really think 6.1 and 7.1 are different enough. If you have 6.1 pre-outs, just get a y-cable RCA and connect to a stereo amp and you have 2 rear surrounds.
Anyways, thanks for the input. I am leaning toward the 797, but I'm looking for experienced owners to give options of both receivers.
How much was your 797 after tax and all?
[Edited last by Chris PC on November 18, 2001 at 12:26 PM]

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
I have a Denon 3802 and I love it. I also looked at the Onkyo's - but I could never find one to demo. The only place that sold them around me was Circuit City, and every time I went in, it wasn't hooked up, or they didn't have any, and didn't know when they were coming in. I heard the Denon, and it was definitely a sound that I liked. The Onkyo may have been good, too, but I never had a chance to find out.
I think Denon and Onkyo are the brands to get. Obviously, I am biased towards Denon (just as Onkyo owners are to Onkyo), but I think Denon is the top brand for receivers, with Onkyo right behind.
I think either one would be great, but the Denon having those two extra channels (7.1 vs 6.1) is something that shouldn't be overlooked if you are going to 7.1. Not only will you not have to buy an extra amp and cables, but you can use them to power a second zone if you are not going to 7.1. Also, I don't know if the Onkyo's have DTS ES discrete - the new ones might - I am not sure. If you are going to do 7.1, you want every format, not just the matrix formats.
However, if you like the THX post processing, then the Onkyo would probably be the one to get.
Either way, I think they would blow the Marantz away! (Oh no - let the flames begin!)
Good luck!
Bryan

NickSP

Supporting Actor
"but I think Denon is the top brand for receivers, with Onkyo right behind"
Bryan, don't mean to start a war but I have owned the Denon 3801 and although I loved it, I love my new Onkyo 898 too as the Onkyo has proven time and time again that their products are of a very high build quality and they sound terrific.
The 797 is an equally solid product weighing more than the 3802 which suggests the power supply is equally good as the 3802 if not better and given the processing abilities of the 797, I would not say that ONkyo is right behind but with Denon these days.
just my $.02.

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
I spent a lot of time comparing Denon to Onkyo as did many people on this forum. This discussion comes up all the time and there is a wealth of information already available if you do a search for either product.
I liked both brands and they both sounded great to me. I bought the Onkyo 898 because I loved the features for the money ($1059 at J&R). I also found the Onkyo much easier to live with day to day. I believe the Onkyo's remote, system setup and OSD menu are all superior to the Denon.
- Jeff
------------------
Link Removed

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
"I liked both brands and they both sounded great to me. I bought the Onkyo 898 because I loved the features for the money ($1059 at J&R). I also found the Onkyo much easier to live with day to day. I believe the Onkyo's remote, system setup and OSD menu are all superior to the Denon.
- Jeff"
(I wish I knew how to reply with the quote so the above text looks different!)
Not only that, but I've been using my Onkyo 797 for almost 2 months now without having to use the OSD at all. I don't even have a video cable going from the receiver to my TV. I've been able to set everything up and make any adjustments without OSD.
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks