Onkyo TX-8511 or H/K 3375?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by James Sutula, Jul 18, 2003.

1. James Sutula

James Sutula Auditioning

I've just recently purchased some JBL S38IIs and I'm looking for a good, simple receiver to power them. The Onkyo is 100 Watts/channel and the H/K is 75. Do you think I should go with the Onkyo to get that extra 25 Watts per channel? Both these receivers have the features I want: sleep timer, and AM/FM reception. I do like the look of the H/K much better than that of the Onkyo. Any suggestions on which to get? I believe I can get either at about the same price, though the H/K could be $10-20 more. Also, the H/K has banana speaker plugs while the Onkyo has only spring/lock based speaker connections.

I'll be using this setup in a dorm room for music listening.

Any suggestions?

2. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I suggest you ignore the Wattage ratings of these pieces and make your decision based on features, aesthetics, price... anything else. If you can audition both in your setup, great. If not, I think you'll achieve similar performance with either.

You've already expressed a preference for the H/K's 'look'. It does accept banana plugs; the Onkyo doesn't. Also, the H/K has main-in/pre-out jacks which may or may not be useful for you, in addition to a dedicated subwoofer output (again, this may or may not be an issue for you).

Happy hunting.

3. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

And it weighs more [​IMG]. I bet/am pretty sure the Onkyo has a better tuner. The Onkyo does composite video switching (don't believe the HK does?).

4. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Bottom line it Adil, which would you buy?

5. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

The Onkyo does composite video switching

Adil,
    I am surprised that a stereo receiver would have that feature.

JohnS

6. James Sutula

James Sutula Auditioning

Thanks for the information/suggestions. I think I'm going to go with the H/K. I don't really need composite video switching because my 20" Toshiba TV has one component and a couple S-Video ins and I'll just use those directly. Also, I can't remember where I read this, but is it possible that not having video switching in the receiver might decrease potential for problems due to the simplified circuitry? Thanks again.

7. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Why are you looking at these two-channel receivers if video switching is an issue?

8. James Sutula

James Sutula Auditioning

It's not really an issue for me. I don't plan on having more than 2-3 video sources and it's not a big problem for me to have to hit the input button on the TV remote.

Actually, I think I would always prefer not to use video switching if at all possible. I think it's too limiting. Often I'd like to use the TV or watch a DVD and listen to music at the same time. I would have a heck of a time doing that if I had everything set up with video switching.

9. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

I rec'd my roommate pickup the HK 3475. And I almost always "rec'd the HK 3375" and the the Onkyo 8211 at $200. However, some people have preferences. I swear the HK and Onkyo sound *almost identical w/ the same source, except the HK seems to have a better amp section in that the music sounds more controlled and less ..."enhanced."
    Both are audibles steps above sony and kenwood and sherwood stereo receivers in the 300 and less price range that CC sells.

10. Mikel.S

Mikel.S Extra

I bought the 8511 a month ago and am sending it back because it doesn't have a subwoofer output. The spring clips in the back were also annoying. One of the nice things is it has 9 buttons on the front for each radio preset.. I'm waiting for the HK 3375 to get here on Friday, will let you know how it sounds with my Klipsch RB-35 speakers.

11. James Sutula

James Sutula Auditioning

I just picked up a PB10 sub so I'm glad I decided to go with the 3375. I think it will make the wiring a bit simpler with the sub out. I think it's going to be delivered sometime this week.

On a related note, I am completely blown away by how good my S38s and PB10 sound together. I've got the sub crossover set on about 60Hz, and after years of hearing a Bose cube system or 4.1 computer speakers, finally hearing more of the complete spectrum of sound is great. And this is all hooked up to a fairly old Sony minisystem. Anybody know if the 3375 has a crossover built in? Any suggestions on what I should set the sub x-over at--60?

12. JohnSer

JohnSer Stunt Coordinator

James,

On the 3470 (prior year model) I have, there is not an adjustable crossover on the receiver. So suspect that the mains run full range, and sub out is a summed L + R, with probably a fairly high low pass, say around 200Hz. I haven't tested it, so only an assumption. If so, mating your main speakers to sub, is basicly set by your mains low end rolloff, and adjusting the plate amp crossover to match. Most of todays recievers that have adjustable crossovers, do it in the digital domain. The 2 channel receivers, do it the old way, fixed with Opamps.

PS: I don't remember seeing anything in the manual that discussed the crossover, either.

JohnS

13. Mikel.S

Mikel.S Extra

Get the HK, much nicer..