What's new

Onkyo sub problem (1 Viewer)

Jorge B

Auditioning
I purchesed an Onkyo LS-V950 home theater in a box from Circuit City. It's really nice cosmetically, and the audio and video is a lot better than my old (SONY) system, but I like to watch movies really loud and the sub distorts sometimes (for example in the intro to Star Wars Episode 2 when the big silver ship flies by) It is a 120 watt powered sub, but when I took out the speaker (I have a bad habbit of taking things apart just out of sheer curiosity) I noticed that it said on the magnet "70 watts".

Anyway, my question is this: Is there a way that I could just replace the speaker with a better one (car audio or whatever) or I'm open to any suggestions, but I'd really like to keep the appearence of the onkyo subwoofer box by just replacing the speaker (My wife actually likes the way it looks)

Any help would be great!

Thanx!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Heck yeah, get the meanest sub driver you can for it.

But alas this may not cure the issue. The first thing most people replace on their HTIB's is the weak subs that come with them.

You may technically make the cabnet so it no longer resonates properly by putting in a new driver, but on a sub at this level, I really don't think you can do anything but help it out some with the change.

They also make powerful plate amps cheap so you can change the amp in it too, for that matter, or add an external amp for it.

Jorge B

Auditioning
Cool, do you have any specific suggestions? Like a specific speaker?

Oh, and by the way, I notice that you wrote "at this level" Did I get a good HTIB for $800.00?
(Onkyo LS-V950)

John S

Senior HTF Member
It looks ok, from an all in one angle...

I like the HTIB 760 from Onkyo better, then adding a separate DVD player.

This one is really short on power and upgrad-ability is all.

But these sorts of HTIB's are perfect for some, and have their place in the market.

The better HTIB's have a real AVR (surround receiever) at their heart. That makes them most excellent for upgrading over time.

Jorge B

Auditioning
Thanx for the input John.

I was still wondering if you have any specific suggestions for a speaker or any other suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks