What's new

Onkyo SR806 Settings (1 Viewer)

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I'm confused on some of the setting the Audyssey setup has done for my system. I have JBL S310 main speakers with a JBL S-series center channel. Audyssey has configured my system as the following:

Front: Full band
Center 120hz
Surround: Full Band
LFE: 80hz

Are there any major problems here? What does full band mean? That everything is sent to mains? On center channel does 120hz mean it doesn't play anything under 120hz? For the LFE is that opposite? Will the LFE only play things under 80hz? When I set up my system it sounded very quiet, i found this was because it had all of my speakers set to -10db. I changed that and it made a big sound difference. One problem i'm still having is my center seems to be a little muffled. What setting would i change to fix this? I've reread the audyssey post and plan on doing it again and see if i get the same results.

I appreciate all your help, thanks

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
On the Onkyo receivers, there is no "small" setting. It's either "Full Band" or you choose a crossover. "Large" is "Full Band", "Small" is anything else.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Good catch David. I've been giving this advice so many times for so many different receivers that I forgot the Onkyo receiver sets speakers using individual hz settings. You would think after my comment on the LFE and speakers something would have clicked in my head. My apologies for any confusion to the OP.

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I just re-did the Audyssey set up and I think i'm more confused. This time it came back with my mains set at full band and my center at 90hz. What do I want my center set at? 120hz or higher. I assume this means the speaker doesn't play anything lower than 120hz? As was mentioned before the ONkyo doesn't have a large or small speaker setting. I can either do full band or I can start selecting frequencies. 40hz, 80hz and so on. What do I want my main speakers at?

Also, Audyssey keeps coming back with my speakers all at -10db, is this normal?

Thanks

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

These darn things can really be confusing. It is sometimes hard to get a handle on what Audyssey tries to do, but once you understand it, it can be great (IMHO).

Audyssey is measuring the response of your speakers in your room. You can get different measurements based on where the speakers are placed, where the mic is placed, and how much background noise is present. Best thing to do is follow the guide, it is fairly complete.

My first question is what volume (trim) did Audyssey set the sub?

FYI - On your 806, Audyssey is trying to set the trims so all the speakers play at 85db when the volume is 0.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

That's a problem. This will skew the rest of your settings since your sub is too loud. Turn the volume down on the sub (the actual knob on the sub). -15 is the max your AVR can cut.

Turn the volume down and re-run Audyssey. Measure 3 positions and check the trims again. You are shooting for -7 or or less (sub only, don't worry about the rest of the speakers). Once you achieve the correct volume on the sub, run Audyssey again with all 8 positions. Post your final results.

I know it sounds like a pain in the posterior, but it is worth the effort to get it right.

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I'll rerun the setup tonight. Should I clear all of my settings and go to default before I do this?

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I thought you had to turn off dynamic eq and RE-EQ. Are those the only two things you need to turn off. Also, I don't think anyone has mentioned what frequency my main speakers should be at. If there not full band, my options are 40hz, 80hz,120hz? thanks for the help.

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
Okay, I just reran Audyssey and here is what it came back with.

Fronts: Full Band
Center: 70hz
Surround: Full Band

This time it has my sub at -13db. I turned the volume lower and crossover lower. It had my mains at -4db and my center at -6db.

Isn't 70hz for the center kind of strange? Each time I've ran this i've got a different number. Any suggestions or should I start manually doing things from now on?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not strange at all. It could measure differently depending on where you have the mic. You can do things manually if you like (you will need an SPL meter), but if you are patient I think you will like the end result with Audyssey.

I suggest you start with 60 to 80 Hz for the fronts, and 80 the rest. Set the LFE to 120 if it is not already.

Then watch some movies and see what you think. Try it first without Dynamic EQ and Loudness. Goof with different listening modes (try the THX and PLII modes). It will take some tinkering to find what you like.

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
THanks for your help David. Can you explain to me the crossover settings. For example if I put my fronts 60-80hz that does mean they only play frequencies higher than that? I assume it's the opposite on the LFE. If it is set at 120hz it only plays frequencies lower than that?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sure. Setting your main speakers to 60 or 80 Hz means that any sound with a frequency lower than your setting will be redirected to your subwoofer. This is a good thing normally since your sub was designed to reproduce these frequencies better than your mains. The sub has its own amp, and since these sounds are the hardest to produce, it takes a huge load off of your receiver. Also, it is easier to locate your sub in a spot that produces the best bass. Sometimes the best placement of mains is not the best for the bass. And finally, Audyssey's corrections for your sub are 64 or 128x what they are for the mains.

Setting the LFE to 120 Hz means is you are allowing the .1 sounds (the LFE track) to play up to 120Hz on the sub. This is the Dolby standard and nothing higher than 120Hz is in this track (in fact, there is normally very little in this track). It has no impact on your other speakers.

JW3571

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathan
I've made the changes you suggested. What do you have your center channel frequency at? 120hz? higher or lower? I'm also curious what sound modes you watch different programming at? For example what sound mode are you in if it's just normal non hd programming? I'm having a little problem with the sound from different modes. For example if I'm a show in HD it sounds great. If I go to say MTV and music doesn't sound very good and I have to turn it up a ton? Any suggestions?
Thanks again for your help.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Since Audyssey set you center to 70hz, you can either keep it there or bump it to 80hz to match the mains.

The sound you get from the TV will vary wildly. Sometimes it will sound horrible, other times pretty good. There is not much you can do to keep it consistent. Music is the same way. There are no standards to which music is recorded. Sound from DVD's and Blu-Rays are what Audyssey is targeted for.

For listening modes, you really should experiment for yourself. Try standard Dolby and DTS. Try the THX modes. Find what you like.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Dave,

Thanks for all the advise. I have an Interga 6.8 which must be similar to the Onkyo SR806 and I wish I had read your comments after playing with my Audyssey set up for the first time. I also kept searching for the small large settings and had to adjust the volume of my sub down but not too low so that it was undected. I also used a tripod from my camera to set the mike at proper ear level and it made it much easier to move around the room.

I played with the Audyssey quite a bit and it appears to be a powerful and accurate tool. My family room is 14'x22" and all of the 5.1 speakers are centered on each other except the sub which I have located between the center and right speakers. Taking three measurements at the same center, right and left sides of the room resulted in consistant average distances for each speaker. Knowing this tells me that went I place the mike in the actual prime listening areas of my seating that the speakers are correctly adjusted.

I also have to agree that you need to play with all of the sound processing options especially when watching TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks