What's new

Onkyo SR805- through-put issue + heat? (1 Viewer)

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
Well my 10 year old Denon 3300 bit the dust this week so I ordered an Onkyo SR 805 receiver which I am currently trying to get up and running. I have two questions:

1. Can I mount this in an open glass TV table with 8.25 inch high shelves? The unit is 7.5 inches tall and user reviews I have read said it throws out a ton of heat. Anyway, if this is not recommended, can I add a small fan to suck out some of the heat and still use the glass TV table?

2. A professional review tested the through-put and said the 1080 video from any HDMI source became degraded when routed into the receiver and then to a TV. The rating was "fail"! Anyway, can this issue be circumvented by separating the source input and only running the audio to the receiver and the video directly to the TV? I assume this is possible using digital optical cable to the receiver and an HDMI cable from the set-top to the TV; right?

Thx...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I wouldn't close in the 805. A fan might help though. You can try it. If it gets too hot, it should go into "Protect" mode, and shut down, before doing damage. I'd use a rack, and have the 805 on top shelf, in the open.

The reviewer doesn't sound right to me.
You are using a digital connection, when using HDMI. Digital is just a bunch of 1's and 0's. It either works or it doesn't. Nothing in between, such as degrading signal. I suppose it's possible to get pixelization, as seen on tv or dvds sometimes. Degrading of signal is more likely with analog connections, although now days I think it's at a minimum.

Yes, you can run HDMI to tv, and optical to receiver. That will work just fine for most stuff. If you have a Blu ray player, you need to use HDMI for video and audio, to hear the HD audio soundtracks on blu ray movies. You can also use the 5.1 analog outputs of a blu ray player, to hear them.

The main reason for sending video through the receiver, is ease of switching sources (don't have to change input of tv, everytime you switch source). You could get a Harmony remote also, which will change the input of tv for you, when you switch source.
Good luck!

Brent_S

Second Unit
To expand on what Ed said. If you check your manual, Onkyo gives some very precise recommendations for space above (8") and to the sides (8") and to the rear (4") as well as for creating a chimney effect to draw heat away.

A number of people with low clearance like yours have used this fan with success. Used as a prepro only, with 5" above and 7" to the rear with closed front and open back, my 805 leveled off at 56°C after a couple of hours. according to the internal temp probes. The threshold to engage the internal fans is 69°C, but for peace of mind I cobbled together a couple of 140mm computer fans with a wall wart from RadioShack and placed them over the preamp section (rear half of unit) pulling air out to create some circulation over/around the video/audio processing chips that appear to be creating most of the heat.

Are you sure you interpreted that review correctly? Which review was it? I don't recall seeing any reviewers say anything like that and I think I've read all of the mainstream reviews of the 805. "Fail" sounds like an Audioholics review, but I skimming it, I don't see anything about degrading HDMI pass through. The give "film detail" a 0/10 "Fail", but plain "detail" gets a 10/10...I don't feel like looking up their test methodologies right now to understand the difference.

-Brent

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

It´s always good to add the link to this type of "review". Can you find it?

Never make any "final decisions" based on 1-2 reviews alone. Many of these newer A/V receivers are just that: audio-video receivers. So passing the video signal through the receiver (and to the TV) should work just fine.

Now obviously I don´t have any first hand experience with Onkyo-models, but I guess they´ve gotten some decent scores with several reviews? At least for their price range (=cheapest HDMI 1.3-receivers out there).

robert bartsch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
robert bartsch
Brent:
How tall is the fan that you referenced above measured in inches; I only have 7/8th inch of clearance?

The fan spec sheet says the dimentions are 130x101x17MM; is 17mm taller than 7/8 inches?

Wow, I wish they would post measurements in both MM and inches?

Thx...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks