What's new

Onkyo sr700 or Sony DA2ES ? (1 Viewer)

JohnMark

Agent
I am continuing a search for a receiver around $400 for use with my external amps for fronts and center, want 6.1 channel and must have DPL2/NEO6. Also desire a true analog 2 channel mode.

Any advice on these 2 models or similar?

Is the Sony straight forward to use on a day to day basis after it is setup? (wife, kids you know what I mean)
I have a Onkyo SR600 at the moment and like its' operation, but it does not have preouts. The Sony appears to have more flexibility with adjustable xover and changeable equalizer frequencies.

Or should I just buy the new Yamaha V1400 which I have seen for $650 or so on Ebay ?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I bought our 2ES equivalent pretty much for what you intend doing and think it is great. I'd buy that and use the difference with the Yamaha V1400 to buy a separate stereo preamp for pure 2ch use.

I have no idea about the Onkyo.

JohnMark

Agent
Craig,

Have you used the adjustable equalizer?
On paper it seems very helpfull for adjustments to any loudspeaker or room shortcomings, although I imagine it does not work in the analog pass-thru mode.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
I've played with the eq a bit but have reverted to flat - my room is reasonably well behaved. Analog direct will bypass all digital processing (eq & bass management).

Vincent_S

Second Unit
I have had a Sony DA2es and an Onkyo 575(I know it's not the same model your looking at). Between the two the Onkyo sounded much better. Sound was clearer/more detailed and it had more bass. I would go Onkyo. Just my .02:)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Well I don't like Sony audio products at all... There ES line isn't bad though because I know someone who owns the 3ES. If you are open to suggestions then I will just suggest taking a look at Harman/Kardon. I think that HK is much better than the two you are looking at and the AVR-325 should be able to be found for about $400 at this point with the new models coming out shortly.

The 325 is a 7.1 channel reciever with pre-outs, component video, and I believe it is something like 50w per channel but of course HK underrates there amps and it is much more true to it's statement than any other recievers I have seen like Yamaha or Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks