What's new

onkyo sr600 volume question (1 Viewer)

JauCheeze

Stunt Coordinator
for the owners of the onkyo sr600... i purchased a sr600 about a week ago. I'm pretty satisfied with the sound, but
how high do you guys need to turn the volume knob? At times i find myself turning it up to about 70-80. Even at 80, i don't really find the sound to be too "loud".
I have it in a small living room, paired with the infinity entra hts. I just want to know it is normal to turn the volume that high, when the maximum is 100. thanks

MancusoB

Agent
I've got the same set-up you do... the 600 with the Infinity Entra HTS.

It's my understanding that the volume control on the Onkyo is logrithmic. That is, it increases the volume more for each step the higher you go. The benefit to this is that you can dial it in precisely to the level you want at lower volumes.

I've had no problem getting too loud volume for my taste. I mostly listen to music somewhere around 65 and movies at 70.

Tom.le

Agent
I have an SR600 also. I range from 45-60. Around 45 when the wife is sleeping, and around 60 when she's using the hair dryer.

I've noticed there's more volume notches than my previous setup. My older SA-VA100 would be at about 3 for TV watching, and each number had about 2 notches, so it was about 6 notches. One notch would increase the volume noticably.

I think that's why after getting the SR600, the varying audio levels of DirectTV channels really really stick out since now I have a wider range of volume notches instead of just 0-6 for normal listening. All their channels suck anyway with all that compression they use. Looks like a badly compressed Jpeg. But that could be another whole post.

I've noticed the levels change too depending on which audio mode you're using, like 'Direct' or 'TV Logic'.

Jim Tressler

Stunt Coordinator
50 for normal listening... 60 when i want to crank things up.. 70 when I want to rattle the neighborhood.. have never turned it past 80.. starts knocking things off the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks