Onkyo SR502 receiver solution to 2.1 or 3.1 system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Danny Tse, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Nov 1, 2000
    In recent weeks, I've been thinking about replacing my Cambridge Audio A500 integrated amp. While my interest will be primarily 2 channel, I keep thinking maybe it's time for multi-channel. I was looking at the Onkyo SR502 receiver, $250 shipped at J&R, and this looks to be an economic solution. Considering my small room, this receiver will have ample power. One concern that I had was any analog>>>digital>>>analog conversion receivers do on SACD/DVD-A signals when input at their multi-channel inputs. I e-mailed Onkyo....

This is done, apparently, through the "Direct" mode on the receiver. BTW, the receiver also allows the addition of a powered sub in this mode, making it possible for either a 2.1 or 3.1 system.
  2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

Jun 24, 1999
    To use a powered sub in with m/c inputs, you generally have to have BM done at the source, otherwise there is no sub channel. If the receiver does apply bm to the m/c inputs, then there is a high likelihood that it is digitizing the input (which I'd hope can be bypassed). I saw the 502 for the first time two days ago. Looks decent for the price.

Why not an XR25? Should be on clearance right now.