Onkyo SR502 listener settings

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matthew Edmund, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Matthew Edmund

Matthew Edmund Auditioning

Hello and Happy Christmas to all! I have a Onkyo SR502 connected to a Polk Audio home theatre system (RM7300 with an extra rear speaker) and TV is a Panasonic TH-42PX50U.

My first question concerns the listener settings on the Onkyo.

The "DTS" logo appears in the Neo:6 mode and the manual reads "This mode creates 6.1 channel surround sound from 2 channel analog sources. My very first questionj on this board, and undoubtably a dumb one - what does this mean and when should it be used?

I'd really like to learn what listener settings should be used for hdtv sports, tv in general and music.

Also, should my rear speakers (which are mounted in the ceiling above the couch due to the limited size of the room) be angled down and towards the listener, or parallel to the ceiling ?

Thank you,

Matthew.

2. John S

John S Producer

DTS Neo:6 is a good option for most any 2 channel content containing 2 channel surround.

The other great mode will be Dolby PLII but will not use the rear center speaker, DTS Neo:6 will use the rear center.

Of course DVD's that have DTS should use the real DTS multi-channel mode when fed digitally to the AVR. DD EX should be used for DVD and HD true 5.1 fed digitally to the AVR.

When the feed is strictly stereo (no real surround), or even mono I find one of the stereo modes to be best with that AVR.

3. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The Onkyo 502 supports both DPL II and DPL IIx modes, IIx uses the rear speaker.

You can force the receiver to expand a 5.1 soundtrack into IIx or Neo:6 using the Audio Adjust menu. something about Surround Back or "SB" . Change Auto to Yes. Then you can switch between EX and Dolby ProLogic IIx-- or dts-es and dts+neo:6.

One thing to note is that the dsp effects cannot be applied to a Dolby Digital soundtrack-- so they can't be used to tweak out out a lackluster digital televison soundtrack. (many programs still use plain old dolby digital 2.0).

4. John S

John S Producer

Thanks Jeremy, I had not hooked up one of these in about a year and I think my memory failed me a bit on what modes it actually has.

PS: Nice better explanation in the post below this one too.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

dts neo:6 was intended as a alternative to dolby prologic II. Its chief advantage was that it used a rear surround channel. Then Dolby responded with DPL IIx, which supported up to two rear channels.

Essentially both DPL II and dts neo expand a stereo soundtrack into something with just a bit more three dimensionality. The movie mode is intended to decode dolby surround movies. The music mode is intended for ordinary, unencoded recordings. (dpl music mode can also take a 5.1 soundtrack, and remix it to use a rear speaker)
    Some people prefer dts:neo to dpl, or vice versa. Dolby PLII also has a Game mode, which sounds pretty awful-- but then, I don't play video games.

It's all a matter of taste, really. I use dpl iix music for most things, including any dolby digital 5.1 recordings.