Onkyo SR501 cuts off

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rick Lyon, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

I finally convinced my dad to spend a little bit of money and upgrade his system even if piece by piece. He bought the Onkyo SR501 and hooked it up in place of an older Sony. Once all the connections were made, the tuner sounded fine, at high volumes as well. Then he tried the DVD, sounded grewat, but once the volume was raised past 30 the Onkyo cut off. He tried the same with the Sony 5 disc CD, it cut off past 30. Yet, there was no such cut off while playing the tuner. I suggested upgrading his wiring to monster cable and component cables to the DVD and CD. He replaced the wiring to the DVD player and the same-the Onkyo cut off. He returned the unit for a new one, and, the same thing happens.

Now, firstly I would suspect a bad speaker or crossed/shorted wiring, however that would reflect while playing the turner. I can't imagine the DVD and the CD are faulty, tho anything is possible. Maybe connecting speaker by speaker? The speaker are mixed Bose and KLH, nothing spectacular. Any ideas?

2. Rick Lyon

Rick Lyon Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible that the non Bose speakers impedance is too low? I guess he could try disconnecting all but the Bose to see if that's an issue, but why would playing the tuner not cut off the receiver? I'm stuck.