What's new

Onkyo SKS-HT510 - is it an upgrade? (1 Viewer)

GarySE

Auditioning
I'm currently using 5.1 speakers that came in a Sherwood Dolby Prologic HTIB set, which i bought on closeout 5 years ago. I think I paid about $285 for the whole package, just to give you an idea of the quality, since I don't know the model number.

I upgraded the receiver 3 years back to a Dolby Digital Pioneer VSX-D509S, but I'm still suffering with the original speaker set.

I'm now ready to upgrade my speakers, but with a very limited budget.

Circuit City is selling the Onkyo SKS-HT510 speaker system for $200. I know these speakers aren't the highest quality, but I'm wondering if they're a worthwhile upgrade over my current set.

Does this set include better speakers than would come with a cheap, entry-level HTIB system?

Opinions please?

Thanks.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, with a powered sub to boot...

Should be much much better than anything provided with pro-logic in an HTIB.

Johnny V

Agent
Hey! I was just wondering the same thing! Right now I've got a Kenwood HTiB (HTB-504) although mine is only 2 years old. Would these be an improvement over HTiB's in general?

John S

Senior HTF Member
Seems fairly equivelent to what you get with the HTB-504...
The Kenwood seemed to be designed with DD/DTS 5.1 in mind.

Jamie Peters

Agent
What is your "low budget" budget? That will help people make suggestions.

I too have been "budget speaker shopping" for a while now. After much reading here (GREAT SITE), other online reviews and forums, and Manuf. web pages..... I decided to buy the JBL NSP1II Home Theater Speaker System as my speakers. They can be had at bestpriceaudioviedo.com for $205 + Shipping. Shipping is probably going to be around $25 or so... From what I have heard, they are great little speakers and much better than the Onkyo 510 set. The only thing is these do not come with a sub. For about $150 you can get a Dayton Sub from partsexpress.com that everyone here says is the best $150 sub on the planet. So, for less than $400 you can have this setup. Although twice as high as the Onkyo HT-510 route, the reviews are much better from people who have heard both.

http://www.bestpriceaudiovideo.com/p...ry=1994&Show=D

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=300-632&DID=7

Do a search here in the speaker forum on "Dayton" and "NSP1", set back and read....

Hope this helps...

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Gary, I bought the SKS-500 speaker set (5.1) from Fry's last summer for $129 NIB. While they may not sound as good as the JBL-Dayton combo to some, for the price I paid I can't very well complain. Besides, I really like them! When matched with the HT-R 500 receiver I got as a refurb for $119 I have a very nice Onkyo system for only $250! If you look around, and get lucky, you can find some real good deals out there. And yes, I think the SKS-510's would be a big upgrade from a "cheap htib set", but if you spend a little more you may be able to do even better. Please let us know what you decide. Thanks, Gene

GarySE

Auditioning
One other question:

The Onkyo main speakers are 16 inches tall. Any problem with placing them horizontally, rather than vertically?

Thanks again for all your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks