Onkyo S650 Problems..... Any similar experiences?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Abe_D, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Abe_D

Abe_D Auditioning

Hello all,

Like many others, I decided to pick up the Onkyo S650 HTIB a couple weeks ago after reading all the positive reports on this site. As such, I figure some of you may have experience with the problems I am having with my system. I'm trying to contact Onkyo, but I haven't gotten a response yet, and I know there are many people on this forum with this system.
    First, my subwoofer keeps intermittently going to stand-by mode when it doesn't seem that it should. Often times in the middle of a DTS DVD movie. My DVD player is hoooked up to the Onkyo through an optical digital connect. The woofer may be functioning from the get-go, or may not. Either way it seems to intermittently (sometimes every 10 minutes, sometimes every hour) switch between stand-by and active modes. Running the 'test' function confirms that there is no output from the woofer channel. I've tried changing the sub-woofer mode, cross-over frequency, bass settings (even up to max 12), center channel output, and volume. Nothing seems to help, though I'm sure with all settings at max and volume between 50 and 60 the woofer should be recieving plenty of signal to keep it out of stand-by. I've tried changing out the cable to no avail. I just want to know if this is a setup issue or if I should return the system.
    Second, I'm hearing clicking sounds from some of the channels. For instance, during some of the louder sounds of the Matrix. Quick replay confirms that the same specific sound peaks always cause a click. I don't think I'm anywhere near max output/volume. Is this a defective unit or have I done something wrong.

Thanks a bunch!
    Abe

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

could be the unit, but first...check to see if any of the connections, esp. the speaker wire is touching any other wires or something metal. the sub might be going into stand by because there is no sub signal going to it. not all material (dvd etc.) has low bass thru-out. anyway, that's where i would start.

3. Matthew David

Matthew David Auditioning

It's simple, but are you sure the subwoofer is on on your receiver? It's possible to set it to "Off", and you won't get a signal from a test either.

4. Abe_D

Abe_D Auditioning

Thanks for the responses.
    The cable is clean (not making metallic contact w/ anything else).
    Also, the subwoofer is definitely on. The sub will be working perfectly, then go to stand-by while the movie is in progress, and without changing any settings anywhere.

Thanks,
    Abe

5. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Abe, sorry about your problem--sounds like you have a receiver problem or a sub problem? Did you buy the unit on-line or from a brick and mortar? I thought of a Y but you only have one input and I think it is more than that anyway. I would get another and not spend to much time fighting it. Maybe you can get a little something extra for your time and frustration. Like $25-50 off the price or a DVD or two.

6. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

My 650 is working fine, sub and all.

7. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

You know, no-matter how good a peace of equipment can be there are bound to be a few problems out there[​IMG] . SVS-HSU-Denon, Velodyne, the list goes on. Things happen and when they do it is not a joy. I just put a new amp in one of my subs. Thankfully I did not have to pay for it. I guess We will have to see what time sheds on the 650.

8. Abe_D

Abe_D Auditioning

Problem solved (mostly)!

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate your help.

I ended up returning the system and got a replacement (Circuit City). The subwoofer problem disappeared. I guess it was just a defective reciever or sub.

The popping sound still remains though. I've only heard during The Matrix though, so I'll probably just let a sleeping dog lie. The problem has occured w/ two different systems. I hear it regardless of volume. I hear it with both digital and baseband/RCA inputs. I don't know if some things wrong with the DVD or not, but I'm not going to worry about it. Not my disc anyway.

Thanks again!
    Abe

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well Abe be sure to let us know how it sounds? When I turn my receiver up to a certain point I will here one click when it hits that point. Luckily it is like -5. I do not go there very often. From your description it does sound as if it could be your DVD though? How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking?