Onkyo Reciever Question..............

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wil_J, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

A couple of questions actually. First of all, does anyone know what the crossover setting of the 494 is? I'll be getting a subwoofer in the near future (finnally got the wife to approve!), and I need to know, but can't find the answer anywhere.

Does anyone know what it is or where to look?

And for question #2, I'm also looking in upgrading the reciever (EVENTUALLY, not within the next 4 months), but I want to start my research now, so I know what I'm saving for.

What is the current favorite? Why? I want to have 6.1 sound on it as well as enough digital inputs (PS2, CD player, DVD, & possible computer input). Component video switching would be nice, but is not a requirement. Must have DTS ES discrete (sp?).

I'm just looking around right now, and want some suggestions. Thanks!!...........Wil

2. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Bump.....Uh...a little help here guys?.........Wil

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Wil,

I believe it is 100Hz. Usually when the X-over is not emphasized and is non-adjustable in any receiver it is 100Hz. There are exceptions of course.

Try looking at the manual under speaker setup. There is usually a giveaway text such as "if your speakers are capable of reproducing bass below ... Hz set them to Large. If not set them to Small." This is likely the only way to determine any crossover if it is not adjustable...otherwise X-over options would be specified.

4. David Cohen

David Cohen Agent

The crossover on the 494 is fixed at 80Hz, as it is on all of the non-adjustable DD/DTS Onkyo receivers of the past few years.

5. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Paul & David, Thanks!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to my question #2 above? Thanks!.............Wil

6. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Wil
    For question number two think the forum is going to need your budget limitations before you get a meaningful answer.

7. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Well, lets say no more that $600 US. I'm sorry, I guess I forgot to put that in my post. [​IMG]..........Wil