What's new

Onkyo reciever going into "Protect" (1 Viewer)

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
I'm relatively new to the home theater market, and was hoping someone here could help me out. I have an older Onkyo TX-SV454 receiver that I've been using mainly for music in my office (I run MP3s off my computer and a CD player into it). It is hooked up to a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 7s.

Anyway, out of the blue the other day, I turn it on, and it almost immediately displays "Protect" on the display, then shuts itself off. Nothing was changed from the way I had it running the previous year. I checked all the wiring (all Monster Cable of some sort or another), and it was intact, with no loose strands or anything that could have been causing a short. So I completely disconnected everything - RCAs, speaker wire, everything - and it still displays "Protect", even with nothing attached to it (and the volume turned all the way down). I opened it up to see if there was anything obvious and to check the fuse. Fuse was fine, and the wiring looked normal.

There are no Onkyo service centers anywhere near me, unfortunately, so I'm looking for advice. Anything would be helpful - if it's something I can't fix easily, I'm going to sell it and buy a new receiver.

Thanks in advance.

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
No - I don't *think* it was a surge. I have it on a 3300 joule surge / battery back-up / voltage regulator. So I doubt it was a surge. Allthough anything's possible.

FWIW,

My Sony ES does that if one of the speakers is moved and the speaker wire ends come in contact with each other...

Hope it helps.

Elmer

Adrian D

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adrian
I don't have any answers for ya, but I will be watching this thread because I have that exact same receiver.
I've only seen the protect display twice, both times when I've had it cranked up too much.
Good luck.

KurtW

Stunt Coordinator
Yah - that was the first thing I check was the speaker connections. That's why I actually unplugged everything to the unit, and it still does it when I power it on. I'm hoping for a response like "Oh, it's just the power supply wire, it's $10 and a bag of Doritos to fix" or something. Which probably won't happen.
I hate to have to give up on this reciever, it's been a wonderful unit for many years, and serves it purpose perfectly in my office. What makes matters even worse is the fact that there's NO ONE in my local area (Southern AZ) that will work on them. Oh well. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks