Onkyo receiver owners! Need a huge favor, please!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sebastian, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to do a simple test for me? I have the Onkyo TX-DS484 receiver and according to onkyo, when the sub is set to on and the speakers set to large, the sub gets crossed over at 80Hz and when they are set to small they are crossed over at 120Hz (they swear by this).
    Well on my receiver, with the sub set to small the crossover works, 80 or 120, all sound from the sub. And when they are set to large all sound is coming from the main speakers, nothing from the sub(like all other DD decoders).
    I used a test disk that had a frequency sweep form 125Hz to 20Hz.
    Can someone with a similar model from this line do these test for me?

See if you have sound coming from your sub with the sub set to yes and the speakers set to large and small while running a frequency (120–20Hz or test tones below 120HZ) sweep in DD

Thanks!

2. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Hmmm... I have the Onkyo TX-DS 777. I'll have to check my manual tonight but I thought it said that the LFE is 85hz and below always and will be turned off when the mains are set to big.

I'll have to check though.

Darren

3. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Sebastian,

This is just a guess on my part, but I believe what Onkyo is saying is this (though it sounds like they have it backwards), with the sub set to 'on', and main speakers set to 'small', the sub gets all signals from all channels below 80Hz. In other words, there is a crossover in place. With the sub set to 'on', and main speakers set to 'large', the sub will only get LFE info from a x.1 soundtrack (this is Dolby allowed to go as high as 120Hz iirc). All other bass (below 80Hz) is sent to the front large speakers (I don't believe your model allows 'large' center and surrounds, does it?). That would explain why doing a straight frequency sweep doesn't show up on the sub. You need a flexible DD soundtrack to properly test the Onkyo bass management. Sorry if you've already thought of this, and dismissed it.

4. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

May be my Onkyo 939 is a bit old compare to you guys but I have mine set to fronts 'large', center & surrounds 'small' and my SW still gets it's share of workout. Just make sure you have the SW set to 'on'.

PF

5. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Baldemar,
    Yeah that is what I thought too until I spoke with one of their engineers and he confirmed everything. Part of me still thinks he is wrong so that is why I am reluctant to take the receiver in to get it fixed, plus it will take me two hours to disconnect everything.
    My test were just regular test tones no LFE tones.
    My model does have separate small and large settings for center and surrounds.

That is another reason why I think onkyo is wrong because with the sub to on speakers set to large the sub ONLY gets the LFE channel (like all other DD decoder's).

6. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Sebastian,

Trust your hunch on this one, I'd say. Remember that these things are designed in Japan, and I'd trust only them on an intricate issue such as this. I really doubt Onkyo would go out of the way to do something different than what's pretty much a standard for DD bass management. It wouldn't be the first time a company's tech guy was wrong/misinformed.

7. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Finally checked my manual on my TX-DS 777 and it says that if the subwoofer is set to yes then the receiver crosses the LFE over at 80Hz no matter what the other speakers are set at.

Darren

8. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

I have the TX-DS 575x and non-LFE bass (CD audio) is directed to the sub when the mains are set to "large" and subwoofer "yes."

9. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit