Onkyo Receiver FM Tuner Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay_E, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased an Onkyo 898 and have noticed that I don't get quite as good FM reception as my previous Yamaha RX-V992. I also noticed that there doesn't appear to be a signal strength meter either. I am pleased with the receiver overall, but it seems like Onkyo may have cheaped-out on the FM tuner section. Has anyone else had any issues with the FM section of their Onkyo?

One other drawback on the Onkyo tuner is that you have to open the flip down panel to change stations and there is no preset station buttons. If I remember correctly the Denon 3801(2) that I looked at had no way at all to change stations on the receiver, you had to use the remote. I guess that most of the manufacturers are not expending much effort on the FM sections of their HT receivers.

Jay

2. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

In general, Oknyo tuners have always been pretty well thought of. But I agree with you that Yamaha tuners have always sounded very good. Are you using the same antenna as before?
    FWIW, the 3802 does allow changing of tuner preset stations from the front of the receiver. However, with my 3802, I'm using a separate Yamaha tuner. (Like I said, they're tough to beat! [​IMG] )

3. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

I have the 898 and find the FM tuner
    excellent, much like my Magnum
    Dynalab FT101a separate, what are you using for a
    FM antenna, I have a Magnum Dynalab
    ST2 and Fanfare FM-2G both of which
    give me outstanding FM reception.

4. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

I am using the same antenna as before, a Fanfare FM-2G. I think the main problem is the Onkyo doesn't do quite as well with a weak signal. I may try moving the antenna around a bit more or possibly even move it outside. Is it true that the Onkyo doesn't have any type of signal strength display? Is this normal these days on receivers? Thanks for the replies.

Jay

5. Gerard Martin

Must be other than a dedicated tuner
    such as Magnum Dynalabs FT101a or
    classic receivers from the 70's I
    don,t know of any modern receivers
    with signal level meters. You have
    a good antenna, moving it should do
    the trick.

6. Jay_E

Jay_E Stunt Coordinator

You don't have to go back to the 70's to find receivers with FM signal level displays. The Yamaha line had them until the year 2000 models. For example the 1998 Yamaha RX-V992 and 1999 RX-V995 receivers still had an FM signal level display. The 2000 RX-V1000 and the newest 2001 RX-V2200 don't have them anymore. They proabably saved a whole $2 by eliminating it. Oh well. I will try and move my antenna around. Thanks again.

Jay

7. Gerard Martin

Jay
    Your right, now that you mention it
    I seem to remember on my Yamaha 795a
    a light display indicating signal
    stength can,t remember if my 2095 had
    it or not as I never used it, in any
    case if you get that antenna positioned right your 898 should sound just as good
    as Yamaha's best.